Home > Trip Reports > Nov 29, 2008, Muir snowfield again

Nov 29, 2008, Muir snowfield again

11/29/08
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Don_B on 11/29/08 1:53pm
Surprisingly good today, once past the drizzly lower elevations and up beyond Pebble Creek.  1 inch of newer dense snow or soft crust on a harder crust over mush or over the glacial ice, and fun to ski. It was occasionally really gusty on the snowfield. I got knocked down once.  But mostly not as windy as forecast, with sun out intermittently.Not so fun to hike the partly snow covered trail. Less snow on the meadows than a week ago, and all of it entirely soft, so necessary to take the steps. There seem to be gophers active in asphalt paving.  Back to penetrating mist and drilzzle from Pan Pt down.

This was month 12 for me of a first full TAY.  Fred R and I  went with Carsten, who hooked up with us on TAY partners wanted, for his first earned turns in Washington, and he really picked a day and route to earn them.
We met the Hummel twins with Christy, and Brianski and others from TAY, but it was not crowded, with acres of untracked snow. 15 hours for 45 minutes and 2800 VF of skiing: entirely worth it.
author=Don_B link=topic=11343.msg47075#msg47075 date=1228024393]

This was month 12 for me of a first full TAY.  Fred R and I  went with Carsten, who hooked up with us on TAY partners wanted, for his first earned turns in Washington, and he really picked a day and route to earn them.

Welcome to the "club".

It was great to see you guys up there yesterday! The snow conditions were much, much better than I expected. Great photos and great skiing!
:)

Thanks, both!
A few more pix are here.

Nice work Don!
I couldn't go yesterday but kept the streak alive at the last moment today.

Don it was good to meet you guys again. I took three friends up to Muir for their first time up, we all had a good ski down. 
Way to go on keeping the streak alive.

Andy, you've got a lot bigger streak to keep alive -- almost 12 years? looks like Sunday was a great day from the nice sunset shots posted. 

Reply to this TR

nov-29-2008-muir-snowfield-again
Don_B
2008-11-29 21:53:13