telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
10/22/14, 06:50 AM

Solar Halo over Tahoma
on TAY home page

Trip Reports Sponsor
Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2008 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  November 2008 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  Nov.28-29/08, Mt.Baker Ski Area
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nov.28-29/08, Mt.Baker Ski Area  (Read 1232 times)
Telemon

Nov.28-29/08, Mt.Baker Ski Area
« on: 11/29/08, 06:17 PM »

I spent the last two days around the Mt.Baker Ski Area, using the Mountaineers' cabin for my accommodations. To be perfectly honest, I would have probably canceled the trip if I didn't made reservations. With light snow falling, things looked better than what the forecast suggested as I approached the upper ski area yesterday morning. Unfortunately we went to bed with, and woke up with, rain.
My buddy, Dr.Tom, has invited me to join him at the cabin, so I figured at least we would have a good visit if the skiing wasn't great. Rather than following the usual trail up to Artist Point and beyond, we decided to climb Pan Face and explore the empty ski area. Photo 1. shows Tom cliffing out. With a little bushwhacking and a sense of adventure we did make it to the top of the Pan Dome. (Photo 2) as the daylight was fading. The visibility had been fine up to then. As we dropped in to the ski area to the north, we set off a number of these big rollers (Photo 3). The snow was getting heavy as the snowfall had graduated into light rain showers. It just didn't look to be worth the effort to ski today, so we caught up on each others' lives and made plans for the snow that we will eventually get.

* IMGP0114.jpg (59.11 KB, 640x480 - viewed 691 times.)

* IMGP0115.jpg (62.48 KB, 640x480 - viewed 677 times.)

* IMGP0118.jpg (66.88 KB, 640x480 - viewed 690 times.)

Git down, Brothers and Sisters of the Church of the Telemark..What do you mean it is a turn not a religion?
gregL

Re: Nov.28-29/08, Mt.Baker Ski Area
« Reply #1 on: 11/29/08, 10:09 PM »

It just didn't look to be worth the effort to ski today

It probably wasn't, but we did anyway. Skinned up the Artist Point road in rain that varied between a heavy drizzle and a light piss, then veered back into the ski area when we saw how thin the coverage was. Skied back to the lodge on barely covered in-bounds runs without major ski damage, and didn't see  Baker, Shuksan or Table Mt. all day. Snow was a 1-2 ft. of semi-consolidated glop. Very few ski tourists, but a surprising number of non-split boarders and snowshoers filling the parking lot and milling around in the lodge.
Telemon

Re: Nov.28-29/08, Mt.Baker Ski Area
« Reply #2 on: 11/29/08, 11:45 PM »

After leaving the cabin around 11:30, we drove up the upper parking lot. There was 30 or more vehicles there and perhaps several dozen more around the lodge. There must have been a lot of wet people traveling down the road this afternoon.The forecast was for improving conditions after late morning, but it actual got worse. We could see Shuksan from the Mountaineers cabin after breakfast and it appeared that the drizzle was going to stop.However, the downpour around noon convinced us that we might as well leave the mountain.

Git down, Brothers and Sisters of the Church of the Telemark..What do you mean it is a turn not a religion?
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.