Home > Forum > on the odd subject of lift-accessed terrain

on the odd subject of lift-accessed terrain

• followmysplitboard
  • [followmysplitboard]
More
30 Dec 2003 15:20 #168746 by followmysplitboard
on the odd subject of lift-accessed terrain was created by followmysplitboard
???<br><br>what is the dilly? This thread is a collection of gripes and glads about riding lifts to ski.<br><br>ducking ropes: not rocket science? it depends on where the rope is , jackass! do you go under it, or air over? "I DIDNT SEE A ROPE" and so on.....<br><br>knowing the fast way to the front of the lift line, like crashing your way through a crowd to find yourself a single who mysteriously isnt there and then noone notices!?? and then calling for your buddy that you ditched.... <br><br>more from me later, what say u? ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• curmudgeon
  • [tim_place]
More
31 Dec 2003 02:24 #168747 by curmudgeon
Replied by curmudgeon on topic Re: on the odd subject of lift-accessed terrain
Uh ... thanks for the reminder of why I only ski backcountry any more!

• Jim Oker
  • [jim_oker]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
31 Dec 2003 09:18 #168749 by Jim Oker
glad: most of those people who have been buying all that BC gear at Marmot in the past few years (salesman there says sales are way up the past few) still seem to be heading to the lifts, based on what we see in the BC, so they are performing an admirable job of skier magnetism<br><br>gripes: people who do jumps blind w/no spotter (and then yell at you if they nearly hit you on the landing, as if you weren't supposed to be there skiing on the ski slope); beginner/intermediate snowboarders who get in over their head and sideslip all the great snow off the steeper slopes

• David_Lowry
  • [David_Lowry]
More
01 Jan 2004 03:25 #168750 by David_Lowry
Replied by David_Lowry on topic Re: on the odd subject of lift-accessed terrain
Well, this jackass considers that a wholly uninteresting set of skills to develop. But then there's no accounting for taste, is there? Happy New Year to you.

• skykilo
  • [skykilo]
More
01 Jan 2004 04:36 #168751 by skykilo
FMS: If I catch you pullin' that falsetto single stuff in front of me, we're gonna rumble.<br><br>Duckin' ropes and huckin' ropes are the number one in-bounds passtime, methinks. Whichever one makes for a smoother transition to carry more speed, and get out of a patroller's possible line of sight quickest.<br><br>Jim: I hear you on the no spotter scenario, but what if you and your friend are both just dying to huck that beauty with the landing looking so nicely filled with pow? And just for the sake of playing devil's advocate, I'll add a gripe about people who ski to right above a nice launch, get sketched and sideslip the snow off it, then pick their way down around it, and finally stop right below it to regather their composure. Not that you would ever do that, but that guy might have earned his haircut.

• powscraper
  • [username]
More
01 Jan 2004 16:55 - 02 Jan 2004 15:10 #168752 by powscraper
Replied by powscraper on topic Re: on the odd subject of lift-accessed terrain
Well there's two kinds of ropes up there.  <br><br>First you've got the ropes along the groomers to protect the lazy and unaware, who find it irresistible to gravitate to where they will be blind and vulnerable, such as at the base of the cliff coming out of that super rad secret tree chute.  Why the hell are they stopping anyway?  To rest?  That's what the chair lift is for.  These ropes protect them.<br><br>Then you have the ropes with the big orange and red-striped signs all over them, often but not always threatening some kind of catastrophy, and often but not always offering the most interesting way of expending your purchased verts.  These ropes proctect you.<br><br>I tend to obey the former, and seek out the latter, at least that way I'm not hurting anyone who doesn't want to get hurt.<br><br>I'd just like to add that since most of us here are probably in better shape and perhaps better skiers than your typical resort pimps, we should do our best to look as unfashionable as possible while dropping in over the heads of the lazies and getting in twice as many runs in a day.  Just maybe we'll prove that you can indeed ski and snowboard well without having to buy that $600 Pataguchi ski suit, or that $600 lift-pimpin eminem-style color-coordinated gangbanger snowboarding uniform.  As for me, I'll be out there in my $60 dollar jacket and wearing my red Pro-tec kayaking helmet.<br><br>wow a 'tude thread on TAY.<br><br>edit: can't believe I mispelled catastrophe. Man do I suck

• skykilo
  • [skykilo]
More
02 Jan 2004 01:33 #168753 by skykilo
In the eternal words of Method Man's first solo album:<br>Represent, represent, represent

• paul_smith
  • [paul_smith]
More
02 Jan 2004 02:41 #168754 by paul_smith
Replied by paul_smith on topic Re: on the odd subject of lift-accessed terrain
Sooner or later we'll all be hankering for the good ol' mellow, wool knicker wearing, stright skis w/o a single mm of sidecut, granola eatin', low cut leather boot wearin', $10 4 finger bag o' mexican weed and lift tickets for $15 smackers at local hills, while we listen to 'It's a Beautifull Day' sing 'White Bird' TAY days! Not that there's anything wrong with that. ;D Here's to Charles and TAY for providing a place to crow, gripe or just let off some steam! 8)<br><br>Paul

• powscraper
  • [username]
More
02 Jan 2004 03:05 #168755 by powscraper
Fresh out tha toilet I got mah sheet togetha<br>when I'm good I'm good, when bad.. I'm betta<br><br>I black that eye like peas yo!

• Jim Oker
  • [jim_oker]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
02 Jan 2004 05:44 - 02 Jan 2004 05:45 #168756 by Jim Oker
&gt;&gt;&gt;Skykilo says: Jim: I hear you on the no spotter scenario, but what if you and your friend are both just dying to huck that beauty with the landing looking so nicely filled with pow?<br><br>This just one more example showing my relative lack of imagination. See, I had a hard time thinking up a scenario where personal pleasure was worth a small risk of death or life-altering injury to someone else (e.g. that five year-old who can snowplow turn down a cliff and is doing so right now). Without your help, I'd never have gotten "out of the box" and seen a way around my friend and I simply taking turns and risking that the second to jump may miss the pow while riding the next lift. Thanks!<br><br>Re: that person who scraped the snow under the jump - I think we're talking different types of jumps here. I'm thinking of the blind lips in the middle of open runs where there's often little to no powder. I'm likely to be that clueless guy who's just doing turns on the backside, not realizing this is an unofficial terrain park - surely I'm thus someone else's gripe (of course I don't stop in those spots, per the code we all agree to when accepting our lift tix).

• powscraper
  • [username]
More
02 Jan 2004 10:17 #168757 by powscraper
Well there you go, just have the five-year-old run point, and he can tell you it's all good once he's made wussies out of you.<br><br>I wish I could snowplow cliffs when I was five!! :D

• powscraper
  • [username]
More
02 Jan 2004 10:35 #168758 by powscraper

<br> I'm thinking of the blind lips in the middle of open runs where there's often little to no powder. I'm likely to be that clueless guy who's just doing turns on the backside, not realizing this is an unofficial terrain park - surely I'm thus someone else's gripe

<br><br>I'd just like to let you all know that as a boarder, when I encounter your silly moguls crapping up the steeps I do my best to scrape the tops off.<br><br>You're right if you can't hit a bonus kicker without taking out a few kids then you suck. And if you can't find something to get air off of while enduring the groomers then you also suck and shouldn't blame it on people scraping all the jumps..<br>

• skykilo
  • [skykilo]
More
02 Jan 2004 11:50 #168759 by skykilo
Right on guys. I've never hurt anyone skiing, a streak I hope to preserve. Now hurting myself, that's none of your business! Maybe I should be more serious. Maybe it's not a laughing matter. Nevertheless, I will continue to say foolish things until I obtain a level of perfection to which I don't aspire. <br>I took some air today, landed on my face a few times, and never came close to anyone else while doing it. I hope everyone else found something just as enjoyable for themselves. Cheers.<br>I still hold that people who approach a launch, stall, and scrape all the snow off it suck.<br>Now let's get back to thinking about that huge snowpack that's making everything look enticing!<br>

• Jim Oker
  • [jim_oker]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
02 Jan 2004 16:29 - 02 Jan 2004 16:37 #168760 by Jim Oker
That's cool - people who hurt themselves surely aren't a gripe for me. I only bum on the ones who are playing with my odds.<br><br>I hear ya on the scraping - it sucks no matter the tool. Though scraping the tops of moguls is fine with me - moguls are by nature scraped items.

• Paul Belitz
  • [pbelitz]
More
05 Jan 2004 12:31 - 05 Jan 2004 12:33 #168767 by Paul Belitz
Replied by Paul Belitz on topic Re: on the odd subject of lift-accessed terrain
Wait, I'm confused. What are we arguing about? I've skied lifts twice in my life. I'm not willing to spend the money and I don't have the time. So I don't have to worry about 'tudes all that much...unless Jeff AND  Sky came along. <br><br>So what were we arguing about? <br><br>"I'd just like to add that since most of us here are probably in better shape and perhaps better skiers than your typical resort pimps"<br><br>Speak for yourself! I absolutely SUCK! :D

• powscraper
  • [username]
More
05 Jan 2004 12:48 #168768 by powscraper

<br>So what were we arguing about? <br>

<br><br>No! The 'tude shall not be slain &gt;:(<br><br>Speaks the M E T H O D<br><br>Razor sharp I seva <br>the head from the shoulders I'm betta<br>than my competa<br>you mean competita whateva<br>lets stick togetha

• powscraper
  • [username]
More
05 Jan 2004 13:11 #168769 by powscraper

<br>Speak for yourself! I absolutely SUCK!  :D

<br><br>Nah, suck is when you spend 30 minutes sitting around puffing the ganj, do one trick, talk some sh@t, then stop and rest for another fifteen, making sure all of the time to point out how much everybody else sucks.<br><br>Speaking of riding the lifts, what is everyone's worst inbound moment?<br><br>Mine has got to be knocking myself out in the superpark at Meadows. I remember watching several guys hit the biggest kicker I'd ever seen, but they all were going too slow and not making the transition. So I thought, why not hit it full-speed? I apparently went spread eagle from the sheer force of the launch and landed on my back. I say apparently because I didn't actually retain any memory of the jump. Just a blink of memory laying there with ski patrol around me, and seeing my blood on the snow. I found myself about 50 feet beyond the transition. As soon as they put me on the sled, I passed out again. They said I was asking what happened every 2 minutes for an hour. I had double vision for two days following the concussion.<br><br>Now I avoid the terrain park.