Home > Trip Reports > Nov 28, 2008, Skyline Ridge - Stevens Pass

Nov 28, 2008, Skyline Ridge - Stevens Pass

11/28/08
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by Erik Henne on 11/28/08 11:53am
There was about 12 inches of heavy snow at the parking lot. Making it up the dirt road to the lake was no problem. We were able to skin from the car.

We weren't certain that the lake was frozen, so we went around the lake and made it up to the ridge. We got about 500 feet of turns off the back side amidst boulders and short trees. But no core shots!

On skinning back up I pitched forward and the toe piece of my Fritschi binding broke in half :( and had to walk back down to the car.

It snowed lightly most of the day. Snow line was right around 4000 feet.
Hmm,  sounds tempting.  Maybe, possibly not too good to be true.

Sucks about the mechanical malfunction,  but perhaps better now than when things progress more towards epic-er conditions,  best ta work out the kinks now I'd say. :)

Thanks very much for posting this. I think I might be able to get my buddy to go up now.

Thanks very much for posting this. I think I might be able to get my buddy to go up now.

If you make it up please report back to the rest of the cattle.  ;D

Looks pretty grim up there according to highway and ski area webcams.   :'(

We ran up there this AM for a few turns despite the grim looking report from the weather stations. There was probably 6" of snow in the parking lot and 3" of water...

We were able to skin from the parking lot. We went up to the ridge and I was able to get some turns on the back side in some classic cascade crud. Coverage wasn't too bad, but you do need to keep an eye out for boulders/rocks/trees.

Despite the less than ideal conditions, we had a great time. If I had to get November turns in the rain, I might as well do it closer to home and even closer to the car. Thanks for the report!

Way to get some,  Wafflehound.  Everyone's determination and anxiousness is impressive and encouraging.   

I may post for partners for wednesday if we get a leetle more base mon-tues.

I'm thinkin' Rock Mtn (semi-ambitious) or perhaps just Skyline (likely more practical).

Reply to this TR

nov-28-2008-skyline-ridge-stevens-pass
Erik Henne
2008-11-28 19:53:54