Home > Trip Reports > 11-23-08, More Muir Pics (with Kite Boarders)

11-23-08, More Muir Pics (with Kite Boarders)

11/23/08
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by cmosetick on 11/28/08 8:19am
As already noted the Muir Snowfield on Sunday 11-23-2008 was jammed with skiers and boarders.  The weather was perfect and the snow was fluffy.  I got a late start since I had been up all night working on a project.  It was truly difficult to find untracked snow around 4:30pm when I started making my descent. I'm not complaining as even the tracked out snow was superb!! The kite Snowboarders started heading down the same time as me and were having trouble due to a lack of wind. Eventually, one was even being pulled up the mountain by his kite when he was trying to go down the mountain. (That's what I need next time I'm heading up!!) If I remember correctly the kite boarders names are Dan and Nick.

Here's the stats:

Woke up Saturday around 11am.
Walk around 7 miles at night job Saturday PM
Start working on special project for friend around 1am
Finish project around 8am Sunday
Pack gear and skis
Start driving to Paradise
Leave Paradise parking lot at 11:40am
Arrive in the Camp Muir area around 4:30pm  Note: I brought overnight gear with me to get some weight training.
Back to parking lot around 6:15pm
Go to sleep around 11:30pm (exhausted)

Pano

Kite Snowboarder

Kite Snowboarder

All of the photos from the day are at:
http://www.the808.net/gallery/November-2008
Hey Chris, thanks for the photos.  I'm Robert, the 3rd kiter that was up there with Nick and Dan, but I stopped about 1000 feet lower than they did.  Here's our trip report and some more photos - http://www.pskite.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2263&start=40#p14815
This was our first try kiting the snowfield. The forecast that day was for E10 at Paradise, and S15 at Muir.  We were hoping for S15 for the entire area above pebble creek, but didn't get it.  I think the most wind we saw that day was about 5mph, and that might be exagerating.  If anyone has advice for what kind of forecasts to look for, that'd be awesome, but we won't be going up in storms, looking for sunny but also windy days.

Reply to this TR

11-23-08-more-muir-pics-with-kite-boarders
cmosetick
2008-11-28 16:19:05