Home > Trip Reports > November 25-26, 2008, Esmeralda Basin

November 25-26, 2008, Esmeralda Basin

11/25/08
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by Larry_R on 11/26/08 10:55pm
A quick snow report from Esmeralda Basin. Jane and I booted it up from the parking lot where there was 4 to 6 inches of snow, to the horse camp about 6000 feet. Snow depth was quite variable, anywhere from not much to near a foot at the camp, more in drifts.

There is a link here to a 140 degree panorama  taken in front of the campsite before the sun came up that gives a better feeling.
http://www.larryscascaderesource.com/VRpans/VRpans_files/panlink.html  If you have not done so recently, it would be a good idea to update the DevalVR viewer to get the best result with the pan.

And here is a pic of Hawkins Mtn.

Larry
Nice to see you got out Larry- and thanks for the report.
Happy Thanksgiving!

Awesome panorama Lar.  It sure felt like winter had arrived waking up to 10 degrees outside. Glad I included my down hood.
Sliding down  instead of walking will be a reality soon!

Jane

author=Larry_R link=topic=11329.msg46977#msg46977 date=1227797755]
A quick snow report from Esmeralda Basin. Jane and I booted it up from the parking lot where there was 4 to 6 inches of snow, to the horse camp about 6000 feet. Snow depth was quite variable, anywhere from not much to near a foot at the camp, more in drifts.

Thanks as always for your informative posts.  Did you take skis and even attempt to ski from the TH, or just recon-ing?  My wife and I had a nice outing last week touring around Windy Pass, driving first to 3600', and I was curious if the road/trail was worth checking out just to ski around in a bit.

Cheers.

Thanks A-E,

Jane and I didn't take skis; it was just an early winter backpack. If you were willing to carry the skis several miles up the trail, you could find a section to ski on, but lower down there are frequent bare spots. Also, the several small meadows lower down do not have enough snow cover to prevent damage to the vegetation, which is quite spectacular in the spring. (If you want to see Jeffery's Shooting Star, this is a great place in season.)

Larry

Good to see you still getting out this fall Larry.  Great picture.

author=Larry_R link=topic=11329.msg47042#msg47042 date=1227967889]
Jane and I didn't take skis; it was just an early winter backpack. If you were willing to carry the skis several miles up the trail, you could find a section to ski on, but lower down there are frequent bare spots. Also, the several small meadows lower down do not have enough snow cover to prevent damage to the vegetation, which is quite spectacular in the spring. (If you want to see Jeffery's Shooting Star, this is a great place in season.)

Thanks Larry, advise taken...glad you mentioned the vegetation coverage.

great pic!  Got any others?  Nice report.

author=Stugie link=topic=11329.msg47052#msg47052 date=1227985207]
great pic!  Got any others?  Nice report.

Thanks Stugie,

Here's a link to a few more pics from this trip:

http://www.larryscascaderesource.com/albums/EsmeraldaBasin/index.html

Larry

Reply to this TR

november-25-26-2008-esmeralda-basin
Larry_R
2008-11-27 06:55:55