Home > Trip Reports > Baker Backcountry-Picking out the bones! 11/23/08

Baker Backcountry-Picking out the bones! 11/23/08

11/15/08
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Randy Beaver on 11/24/08 12:21pm
Ventured north following the forecast, along with the infamous snoslut, preston, and pete. Half of Whatcom County had had the same idea, but between sledders, snowshoers, and gawkers we did fine finding room to roam. Took the slow boat out towards Coleman Pinnacle, varying deposits showed the wind direction overnight leaving maybe 10-18" on N/NE facing slopes, 6-8" on other aspects. Ish. Or something.

Anyway. we were out early, skinning under SW aspects of Table probably 9:15ish and point releases were already engendering small sloughs. Like 1"-2" deep small. But still. Made it out to the as far as I know No Name Saddle between Table and the large guy/mtn to the SW. Camped there for a while, watched a party of 3 skiers descending West-ish facing slope toward Coleman Pinnacle. they popped a couple 1-2" slabs loose, to consequences somewhat less than totally catastrophic. Duely (sp?) descended after them. At this point my decision to bring my rock board and forsake skinning for furious snowshoeing was validated, as opposed to the mocking it had received earlier. Upon carving, they played the Thunk Thunk Funk whereas I rocked to the Slash and Dash-or at least didn't care about the thunks. VERY BONEY SNOWPACK.

Returning under Table, top snow layer very heavy and wet, sloughs much larger-I would say knock down size possibly. Beautiful day.

At Apple store, will add pics later.
author=Randy Beaver link=topic=11309.msg46801#msg46801 date=1227586892]

In other news, Scottsman has 810 posts....in all seriousness, is this a record?

Not even close-RonJ has more than twice as many posts. However, Scottie is #4 on the charts and rising like a rocket.

btw Ptarmigan Hill is what I've heard people call the big knob to the the sw of Table Mt. 

author=Randy Beaver link=topic=11309.msg46801#msg46801 date=1227586892]
In other news, Scottsman has 810 posts....in all seriousness, is this a record? At Apple store, will add pics later.

Actually Scottsman has 0 posts,it's Scotsman with one t . ;)
Glad you got some turns in .

Here's a shot of some small slabs I was creating (they didn't move though) on a NW facing slope while skinning up.  About 4".  The wind was southerly according to the forecast but appeared to be moving up the valley easterly. 
By the end of the day, the sun-soaked S facing slopes were getting pretty sloppy - almost spring-like (minus the deep snowpack).

Finally got first turns of the winter!  ;D  Even if they were bony and short-lived I'll take 'em!

Much love for the thunk thunk funk.  I dig the beat.

cool snaps/.

Reply to this TR

baker-backcountry-picking-out-the-bones-11-23-08
Randy Beaver
2008-11-24 20:21:32