Home > Trip Reports > 11/23/2008, Welcome Pass (Mt Baker Area)

11/23/2008, Welcome Pass (Mt Baker Area)

11/23/08
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Scole on 11/23/08 2:43pm
I decided to hike up to Welcome Pass from the Mt Baker Highway today for some sunset photos so this is more an observational post since I was just hiking up. Snow starts at the beginning of the nasty switchbacks although its dependant on an open forest canopy. The depths along the trail are only a trace to 1".

From 4200' or so the snow gets deeper along the trail and is generally 4-6" until the pass. In that wind sheltered area at the pass, the snow was 1-1 1/2" deep and all powder. The surface had the beginnings of surface hoar. At the pass, there were some traversing ski tracks back towards Excelsior Ridge but I only caught a glimpse of one of the skiers later in the afternoon.

I decided to turn right and head up the small knoll to set up my camera. Once exposed to more elements the snow depths varied greatly from as little as 3-4" to 2' or so. Though the sun was out, it was freezing due to some steady STRONG winds whipping up the ridgeline. Once the sunset was over, I hightailed it back down to the pass and the trail. At this point was quickly plunge stepping and noticed that the snow surface had a 1" crust to it..

I made it about 2/3rds of the way down before needing my headlamp. That is some DARK forest at night!

EDIT: Some photos..

1. Hoar Frost at Welcome Pass

2. View west towards Excelsior Ridge

3. Shuksan and the upper Nooksack Valley at Sunset

Photos added.

Reply to this TR

11-23-2008-welcome-pass-mt-baker-area
Scole
2008-11-23 22:43:30