Home > Trip Reports > Nov 23, HurricaneRidge, Sunrise Rock Suprise

Nov 23, HurricaneRidge, Sunrise Rock Suprise

11/15/08
WA Olympics
Posted by haydenslides on 11/23/08 8:39am
Headed up to hurricane ridge today to try out for the first time my new splitboard.  Skiied out Hurricane Hill Trail a bit down the wolf creek trail.  Came back, ate some snaks, and skiied up intermediate a ways down sunrise ridge.  Two southerner coasties chatted me up at the top, taking long draws off their camel straits...
dropped in learned just how thin the snow coverage was, got pitched off by a rock lurking in the snow.  Picked myself up and got some good turns down to the road. promptly picked up by some sequim retirees and rendevoused with my party and headed out.
I'm sayin' 8-10 inches of wet, sticky, snow.  beautiful blue skies, and stoked out of my mind to be riding again!
It is nice to finally see something other than helio ridge and muir.  Thanks for the info.

author=Nicks Sticks link=topic=11293.msg46732#msg46732 date=1227489304]
It is nice to finally see something other than helio ridge and muir.  Thanks for the info.

Amen! Brother.  It won't be long now...

I was surfing in Westport with a clear view of the Olympics...made me want to be skiing instead.  They are frosted white...it's on its way!

author=Stugie link=topic=11293.msg46759#msg46759 date=1227546645]
I was surfing in Westport with a clear view of the Olympics...made me want to be skiing instead.  They are frosted white...it's on its way!

How about a Surfing TR Stugie?
Surfing in this weather must be cold, cold ,cold. I'd love to hear more about it, epspecially given current ski consitions.
Can you post some pics and tell us what gear you have to wear?
Is it an area where beginners could learn etc etc.

author=Scotsman link=topic=11293.msg46778#msg46778 date=1227560507]

Sure thing!  I can whip up a "generic" one for surfing in the fall here in WA, I'll try to post it in the next few days...maybe in the Random Tracks section.

author=Scotsman link=topic=11293.msg46778#msg46778 date=1227560507">
Surfing in this weather must be cold, cold ,cold. I'd love to hear more about it, epspecially given current ski consitions.
Can you post some pics and tell us what gear you have to wear?
Is it an area where beginners could learn etc etc.

Surfing in the NW? Cold? No way! Here are a couple pics from the other weekend surfing in Oregon. These were taken after I got worked over by some big waves. Oswald State Park, south of Canon beach. Great place to learn, when the conditions are right. Thank god it's finally started to snow!

A couple more HERE

Sorry Haydenslides for some serious thread drift here! How we got from Hurricane Ridge to Surfing is an indication of how much we need snow. Please accept my apology.

Spin Fast. Those are some beautiful pictures, makes me want to take-up surfing. Any sharks out there cuz I'm scared of sharks!

Scotts correct the view into the Olympics with a fresh coating was amazing, damn birthdays when there is fresh snow in the mountains .

Scott when you do the TR dont forget to mention the fact that I can sleep through Guitar hero at earbleeding volume

author=Scotsman link=topic=11293.msg46786#msg46786 date=1227571054">
Sorry Haydenslides for some serious thread drift here! How we got from Hurricane Ridge to Surfing is an indication of how much we need snow. Please accept my apology.

Spin Fast. Those are some beautiful pictures, makes me want to take-up surfing. Any sharks out there cuz I'm scared of sharks!

Thanks Scotsman. You asked about sharks? http://www.sharkresearchcommittee.com/2000.htm. Just igonore the July 31st 2006 episode at Oswald, where these photos were taken.

Shark attacks happen, but so don't avalanches.

That last photo is a classic NW scene!

Reply to this TR

nov-23-hurricaneridge-sunrise-rock-suprise
haydenslides
2008-11-23 16:39:58