Home > Forum > When will we start skiing in Washington (2008)?

When will we start skiing in Washington (2008)?

• andresih
  • [andresih]
More
22 Nov 2008 11:05 #214188 by andresih
When do folks think we will start skiing here in Western Washington? It is getting a bit late in November and we barely have a base. I know things can turn around in a couple of days, but what's the buzz? Can't wait!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Ritalin Kid
  • [Ritalin Kid]
More
22 Nov 2008 16:07 #214189 by Ritalin Kid
Replied by Ritalin Kid on topic Re: When will we start skiing in Washington (2008)?
My prediction.... December 12th

• alpymarr
  • [alpymarr]
More
22 Nov 2008 22:05 #214192 by alpymarr
La Nada means:

Expect nothing and be glad when you get something...at least that is the philosophy I'm adopting to keep me from going nuts.

Also, according to the latest IPCC and UW results, we should expect more of the same. Unfortunately I (and the latest regional climate models) are predicting temps and precip. patterns to be somewhat like we are currenty experiencing. Just an eerie reminder of the most probable future. Otherwise have your gear by the door and be ready to mob when it snows, because it won't be pow for long.

On a more optimistic note.......it is only Nov.

• everestbill
  • [everestbill]
More
23 Nov 2008 05:48 #214193 by everestbill
Replied by everestbill on topic Re: When will we start skiing in Washington (2008)?
I have good feeling about the next week late in the week, it lloks like a good storm in the Allusion Islands may swing our way. Sinniers showed up in my mail box from BH (secound copy, first copy we ware out) I lpuged it in and I waxed nad base preped the sticks in ready for when it flies. We are need to be doing our part though and get out and earn a turn, burn a ski and tip a glass to Ullr. Hihj pressure for 3 more days and then I think it's going to DUMP. I am not a meteroligest, but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn one time.

• andresih
  • [andresih]
More
23 Nov 2008 15:06 #214194 by andresih
???
Yup I agree with the Mid December prediction. All the chatter of La Nada I don't really get though. Prior to the Mid 1980's El Nino years were very rare. We were mostly neutral, and certainly we got our typical NW winters with arguably even deeper snow pack. Go figure. I'm sure we will have some great days, but we may have to wait until mid December which is a bummer.

• Joedabaker
  • [Joedabaker]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
23 Nov 2008 18:15 #214195 by Joedabaker

When do folks think we will start skiing here in Western Washington?

Maybe I'm missing something here, the real question on Turns All Year is when do we stop skiing in Western Washington? ;D

• Snoqualmonix
  • [alpinemorg]
More
23 Nov 2008 22:54 #214196 by Snoqualmonix
Replied by Snoqualmonix on topic Re: When will we start skiing in Washington (2008)?

Maybe I'm missing something here, the real question on Turns All Year is when do we stop skiing in Western Washington?  ;D

Here here, Friday and today just made this my 13th month. Today was 7" of new on a 2" base...kind of like skiing in the midwest again!

• andresih
  • [andresih]
More
25 Nov 2008 08:38 #214199 by andresih

Maybe I'm missing something here, the real question on Turns All Year is when do we stop skiing in Western Washington?  ;D

Good point! Ha ha ha

Guess that is why this lazy lift serviced skier posted it in the lift serviced section.

• James Wells
  • [Travertine]
More
25 Nov 2008 15:48 #214200 by James Wells
Replied by James Wells on topic Re: When will we start skiing in Washington (2008)?
Whistler opens tomorrow, limited terrain. Whistler Mountain Wednesday, Blackcomb on Thursday. Not WA but close.

It appears that Baker will not run lifts over Thanksgiving, not enough snow yet.

I think the difference is that the stakes are higher for Whistler. They will open by opening day, almost regardless of how much or how good, because people have flown in from who knows where.