Home > Trip Reports > December 27, 2003, Slot Couloir, Snoqualmie Mt.

December 27, 2003, Slot Couloir, Snoqualmie Mt.

12/27/03
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Sam Avaiusini on 12/27/03 7:42am
;D Scott, Lori and I started up the Phantom this morning at about 8:30.  We encountered very easy skinning all the way up the west shoulder with occaisional sun breaks.  I took a 500' foot run on the upper slopes while waiting for the others to catch up.  Calf deep turns were light and fast! ;D
Regrouped, we made the final push up the ridge to the entrance of the Slot.  After a pretty easy entrance, we hunkered down at the top for lunch and dug a hasty pit.  The pit revealed about 10" that was seemingly well bonded to a thick crust underneath.  Shear testing it, release did not come as easy as we expected...this was comforting.  I started down and linked nice turns through the dog-leg to the right and waited for Scott and Lori to meet me before we took turns down the remainder.  We skinned out of the basin back to the West Shoulder and were able to blast down quickly, even capped it off with the waterfall finish.  6"+ of new snow upon our return to the car.  This is the 2nd time I've skied this line and it will likely be my last!  Horrible, horrible, what a waste of a day ;)!  My recommendation:  Stay at home and watch Oprah reruns.
Photos coming soon on my website...
AlpentalCorey has never skied the Slot Couloir, but skykilo skied it a week ago and it was really great.  Conditions at the ski area were horrendous, rain crust action happening, but the couloir was just sweet pow.

Skykilo would like to second Sam's assessment:  do NOT go ski the Slot Couloir!  It is all mine!  If I catch you there, I will sick Panama on you...

Skykilo will try to refrain from posting as AlpentalCorey in the future, now that he has noticed the Logout link.  

Skykilo will try to refrain from posting as AlpentalCorey in the future, now that he has noticed the Logout link.  

I like to refer to it as the "Pooky Slot" ;D
Damn, it was awful!!!!  Oprah never sounded better. ;)

Reply to this TR

december-27-2003-slot-couloir-snoqualmie-mt
Sam Avaiusini
2003-12-27 15:42:30