Home > Trip Reports > December 26, 2003, Triple Pass, SnoQ Mt to Snow LK

December 26, 2003, Triple Pass, SnoQ Mt to Snow LK

12/26/03
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by MW88888888 on 12/26/03 9:25pm
With the avalanche danger in a very comfortable range, it was time to do some exploring.  Ron and I set off for West Ridge Notch (5,240'), Snoqualmie Mt in a now familiar march early Friday morning from the Alpental parking lot.  10" - 12" of super cold powder on top of bullet corn graced the sunlit slopes on the apron snowfield a few hours later and high above.  Once at the Notch, we had grand views of the Thunder Creek Drainage to our north and the couloir below us was open for business, even as the clouds gathered to our West.  

Face shots abounded in the tasty cold smoke powder in the north facing couloir.  It was spectacular.  We were able to ride down to a flat spot at the base of the canyon and set up for the climb to Snow Lake basin.  It had been 700' of some of the finest powder I've ever skied.  

The climb was short to the pass (~4,850') leading to Snow Lake , but steep.  Many fine hours of skiing could be had in the bowls that lined the north side of this bowl.

The ski down to Snow Lake (4,016') was deep, white, and deep.  Skis would have been the better choice for these last two segments, but Ron and I both agreed anything would be good!  As we climbed up and out of the basin to Snow Lake Pass (4,450'), we finally passed a skier up from the Alpental side.  We followed his tracks and had a very deep, fluffy powder ski into Source Lake bowl in an ever increasing snow squall.

The grind out to the car at Alpental: 500' vertical of ankle numbing traversing along with a swarming nest of humans.   But back at the car at 2:20 pm.

Total Vetical: ~2,700'
Total miles: ~7
Nice trip.
Thanks for sharing it.

Nice day to be out, huh? Did you get some of the sunbreaks in addition to the squalls?

Gotta love the low snow level.

Jim - boy, did we ever.  It was sunny and beautiful all morning, and only until we neared Snow Lake did the snow really come down hard.  But I don't think that was a bad thing at all, really.

Reply to this TR

december-26-2003-triple-pass-snoq-mt-to-snow-lk
MW88888888
2003-12-27 05:25:30