Home > Trip Reports > - Tahoe, general conditions

- Tahoe, general conditions

11/15/08
US elsewhere
Posted by skimtner on 11/13/08 9:38am

Since there's not much activity up your guys' way I'll fill you in on the Sierra Nevada.  Nov. 1 we saw the first considerable accumulation. The snow level was 8,500 (Our avg. snow level is 7,000). We got about 4 - 10 inches, which made for a nice base due to the high water content.  2 days later we received a colder system which yielded about a foot. This was nice for cautious turns.  Now, a week later we have underwent a transformation to spring conditions. The base is about 1 foot, and the snowpack is very consolidated. I actually was able to make some cautious turns on a steeper slope and it was quite pleasant. The slope had a few inches of give - with a general 'firm feel'. 

The real highlight from these storms is down at Mammoth (ski area).
One could probably find some decent coverage off Tioga Pass but guess what, the road is closed due to snow, as this will close for the season.
          So back to the ski area - it received 3-5 feet of classic Mammoth snow up top, with about a 1 foot base down below. Then they got an unexpected foot last Sun. morning.  Their snow report said they have the most terrain available in the country.            So that's it,  Pray for Snow !
awesome.  thanks for the report.  we were up at carson pass last weekend, coverage was a little boney but still efficient.  looking forward to a great winter!! 

I talked to a guy today who skied Mammoth Crest 2 days ago. He described it as 'epic' powder. Not bad for November. I'm sure things are corning up by now, but it sounds like there's decent coverage. Plus, I bet the chutes off the crest will keep good winter snow for a while.

Heading S to Mammoth for the weekend could be a good call. If you go, be sure to post a TR. We need stoke. Bad.

Oh, don't forget to hit the hot springs on the way home.

Its great to see some activity and information from the Sierra.  I'm and old June Lake home town boy, now in Seattle. I love it up here there's a great backcountry community and good access but I miss the Sierra and the sun ::). My wife and I will be in June Lake in the third week in January and I'm hoping to get some backcountry turns in. It looks like our enjoying early turns enjoy! ;D

Reply to this TR

tahoe-general-conditions
skimtner
2008-11-13 17:38:42