Home > Trip Reports > Nov 11, 2008, Waterskiing the P-Patch

Nov 11, 2008, Waterskiing the P-Patch

11/11/08
Posted by telemack on 11/12/08 2:37am
     With friend Brian and TAY-guy jamesellis, I headed up to Paradise.  It felt like winter---why?  Because the road was 2 hours late to open; a ranger said they "weren't planning to open today".  Left the car at 12:20 with about 4-5" of mush and steady rain.  Pan Point was really windy and we were quite wet when we got there. 
     1 tentative run down the Patch in poor vis.  The turns were short but not bad.  Brian (snowshoes and Alpine boots) headed down, while James and I took a second lap.  We each set off a small wet-slab slide of about 6",  4 or 5 feet wide, that both ran about 30 feet on skier's upper right of the Patch.  Temps continued to climb as we headed down, and it rained steadily the whole way home. 
     At least one pair of skiers was headed up to Pebble in a near-whiteout, and Brian talked to a couple in cotton and leather about 3:30 at 6000' who were "going to do the Skyline Trail".  Guess some people thrive on hypothermia.... ::)
Bummer dude. At least you got out and " got your freak on" as Mr. Miller would say. Deposit in the Karma bank, chaaching! ;D

I think Dave and I talked to you when we were heading down. Good job at least getting some turns. It sure was nasty. We never even took our skins off--first time (hopefully last) I've ever skinned 1,500 feet downhill.

November rains.

Because of this trip report I fell a whole lot less like a wanker for turning around in the Paradise parking lot after realizing the day was shot to death by the nearly three-hour wait for the gate to open.

It's probable that rain didn't begin falling in the lot until 11 or 11:30 am. Good work MRNP!

Good news is the park let veterans in for free for the first time ever! Good work MRNP!

I've been meaning to talk to james about his choice of climbing/skiing partners.  I do recall a father's day trip in the rain and I commented that it was so miserable it was fun.  Let that be your motto.  Where are the pics?

author=Aaron_Riggs link=topic=11203.msg46213#msg46213 date=1226520288]
I think Dave and I talked to you when we were heading down. Good job at least getting some turns. It sure was nasty. We never even took our skins off--first time (hopefully last) I've ever skinned 1,500 feet downhill.

Aaron:  That was definitely us; I was the guy who asked if you were TAYers.  The snow was quite skiable except fo the quantityJames and I copied the skins-on trick and found it worse than none, except for the staris below the Pebble Creek cutoff.  We ripped 'em below the switchback and had some decent meadow skipping on the few inches of slush.  Got a few dings in the bases, though. 

author=telemack link=topic=11203.msg46232#msg46232 date=1226534310]
I was the guy who asked if you were TAYers. 

You must have asked Dave before I hobbled over, or I missed it during one of those wind gusts. Anyhow, pleasure to meet you.

Maybe I should have ripped the skins, but I was afraid to fall in the thin snow due to my recently rebuilt knee. Turns out skinning down was difficult and I fell anyway.

Think snow.

Reply to this TR

nov-11-2008-waterskiing-the-p-patch
telemack
2008-11-12 10:37:51