Home > Trip Reports > December 22, 2003, bundy's blunder/mazama ridge

December 22, 2003, bundy's blunder/mazama ridge

12/22/03
WA Cascades East Slopes North
Posted by sag on 12/22/03 8:51pm
Headed up to the big R yesterday with Patrick, some how I reset the time on my clock and not my alarm and before I knew it I was in longmire parking lot watching the sunrise on the mountain (up 2 hrs early and never caught on)not sure if I regret it after the sight I got to witness . So we decided to head over to Bundy's blunder (for a map to a link see JW's last TR) which was fast and crusty. Then we headed up over the Mazama ridge and found a nice bit all the way skiers left in the northerly most bowl the sun had baked the crust into perfect corn it was like spring. We then took a look into one of the other bowls which did not look appealing large crusty bumps the whole way down. The sun had not done it's work here.
 Then headed back over towards the road and YO-YO'd the opening that runs top to bottom directly accross from the parking lot entrance. The sun was trying here but the crust did prevail. All is stable through this area but this crust is going to be something to watch for later when more snow comes. be safe, have fun and have a happy whatever it is you celebrate this week.

Reply to this TR

december-22-2003-bundy-s-blunder-mazama-ridge
sag
2003-12-23 04:51:30