Home > Trip Reports > Nov5 (5 year TAY tour) Artist Point

Nov5 (5 year TAY tour) Artist Point

11/15/08
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Telemon on 11/5/08 10:15am
The weatherman was wrong! Today was supposed to be a cloudy one; a gray, but useable day before the deluge arrives on Thursday. We were stuck with a bluebird day that caused us to tire our eyes looking at all the spectacular views. And the snow; well there isn't supposed to be 15"+ of powder on Mt.Baker in early November, but there was!

I meet up with Scotsman, Rusty Knees and M at Maple falls. We were joined in the upper Mt.Baker Ski Area parking lot by ElCapone and his friend, Richard. They were on split boards; the Fab Four favoured tele gear 3 to 1. We skied from car, so the joy meter was running high from the start of the day. Photo 1. shows us leaving Austin Pass and aiming for Artist Point. We went through the parking lot and battled through the deep snow to south-east corner of Table Mountain, where the underlying surface has more vegetation than rock. After a 300' run there, we worked our way to the east side of Table.( Photo 2). We wanted to end the day with a Blueberry Chute. Photo 3 shows us going cross country to the Chutes. (Turns on Table are visible in the top left corner.) There was just enough coverage, but I have to admit it was more of a survival run down for me. We were back at the car before 3:30.

Mt.Baker was still out in all its glory when I looked back after crossing the border. What is it with these weathermen? ;D
Moscawulff is the M in my report; I should have looked for the spelling before starting my report.

Great photos Telemon!  Amazing that just a week ago (to the day) we had to hike 2450' to snow!

Hey there Telemon.  Congrats on year 5!  Nice tour today, wish I was there.  I looked up around 3:30 this afternoon and saw crystal clear snow covered mtns.  Nice goin!

WOW!! What an incredible day . . . thanks for sharing.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=48.8614,-121.6827&ie=UTF8&om=1&ll=48.853986,-121.690836&spn=0.018354,0.055361&t=p&z=15&g=48.8614,-121.6827&iwloc=addr  Shows the terrain of the area that we covered today. The marker is near the Parks building, a short distance from the parking lot. The high point of the day was a little over 1,000' higher. There must be a few TAYers whom have never visited this beautiful area, and now, very convenient ski location.

Travertine-today was the virgin run for my new Pentax Optio W60. Other than the fact that I no longer have an eye piece to view the shot and must try to see the scene through the glare on the display, I was pretty happy with it. It is even more waterproof than my old Optio 43WR, (which was useful when I rolled in the deep snow pockets in the Blueberry Chute).

Five years went by mighty fast; I hope that I live to see ten.  ;)

Way to get the early November pow!  It was a bit painful working out in Skagit County today while looking at the sun-lit fresh snow coating on Baker and the lower foothills that I couldn't ski!

Beautiful.  Did you hit any submerged objects?

telemon- more pics please, I am not satiated quite yet!

Chris

I appreciate the Google Map links.  Can you give a tutorial?

author=cascadesfreak link=topic=11170.msg45984#msg45984 date=1225944854]
Way to get the early November pow!  It was a bit painful working out in Skagit County today while looking at the sun-lit fresh snow coating on Baker and the lower foothills that I couldn't ski!

Ditto!! As I was working on a rare visit to B-ham and driving down BakerView, looking at all the sweet white goodness. Sigh...
Good job boys-

author=telemack link=topic=11170.msg45987#msg45987 date=1225946668]
Beautiful.  Did you hit any submerged objects?

We all hit a few, but I checked my bases and no deep scratches.  Lucky!  ;D

Great climbing and skiing with you guys!  Here's a few more pictures.
http://picasaweb.google.com/Rustyknees/11508TableMountain1#5265408162685182194

As usual - Pizza and brews at the Shrine on the way home topped off this fabulous day!.

What a beauty of a day. It was cool to meet up with you guys. Unexpected on my part. Should have followed the carpool thread.

Rusty.. I like the caption on pic #20. VERY happy to have them all down safely at that point. 

author=Telemon link=topic=11170.msg45983#msg45983 date=1225944614]

Travertine-today was the virgin run for my new Pentax Optio W60. Other than the fact that I no longer have an eye piece to view the shot and must try to see the scene through the glare on the display, I was pretty happy with it. It is even more waterproof than my old Optio 43WR, (which was useful when I rolled in the deep snow pockets in the Blueberry Chute).

Funny, thats the same combo of cams that i have. Just two weeks ago I realized my 43wr was shot after years of abuse (I refused to believe that it was only water resistant, took it swimming, snorkeling etc.. finally it seems to have died) and rushed out to buy a W60 for my trip to Hawaii last week. It's a great camera; I really like that they added a wider filed of view (28mm equivalent) and being waterproof it hopefully will last longer. Anybody looking for a great point and shoot should check it out, online they're sub $300.

Nice TR...day jobs suck!

author=Travertine link=topic=11170.msg45989#msg45989 date=1225948139]
I appreciate the Google Map links.  Can you give a tutorial?

If you were aware of my limited computer comprehension, you wouldn't be asking me to teach the class. I will give it a try,though.
My SPOT device sends an email with a link to Google maps when I use the OK function on it.http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=48.8614,-121.6827&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1  I use the Terrain setting in the top right corner. After zooming in to my subject area, I click on the "link" setting in the same corner and use that address in my report.

Another option is go to the "maps" section on your Google page. Search for your subject area, put on the Terrain setting, determine your map scale, use the link button, transfer it to your TR and Bob's your uncle (not your tutor).

My scorecard for the day.

Companions where fantastic.
Weather was stupendous.
Snow was incredible in quality.
Views where beyond belief.
Skiing was" survival mode" due to rocks and lack of depth.
Huskies where in heaven.
Pizza and beer where sublime.

Ps. As Telemon said , I was the only AT-gaper, rest  on tele gear and splitboards and I only cursed my Dynafits
about 5 times due to icing and transition problems which was good for me! ;)

author=Scotsman link=topic=11170.msg46004#msg46004 date=1225991509]
My scorecard for the day.

If only I could score my golf game that way.  I guess that's why I ski.  Nice tr, great pics!  Looked awesome for early Nov.!  Way to get it.

author=Scotsman link=topic=11170.msg46004#msg46004 date=1225991509]
...I only cursed my Dynafits about 5 times due to icing and transition problems which was good for me! ;)

Scotsman, I was actually watching that transition time.  You were definitely the fastest one every time, whether it was getting ready for a run, or changing back to climb.  Also, thanks for doing the Lion's share of the trail busting.

All in all a beautiful day. Bob and Chris, nice to meet the both of you; hope to get some more turns in soon (more than 5 in sequence should be our next goal). I again missed a month and am starting my counter over, as well as the annual ski-season counter. A damn fine day/month one! If everyone turns down the heat in their homes, and refuses to drive there cars this weekend maybe the storm will come in colder than forecasted. Either way, looks like it will turn back to snow and colder temps on the backside...i'll be looking to get out again mid-week if the snow conditions are good...stay tuned! Cheers!

Oh, here's some more pics for everyone to be distracted from work a bit more: http://picasaweb.google.com/powderhoar/ArtistPointTableMtNov52008#

I cried tears of joy upon seeing this post. 

author=skierlyles link=topic=11170.msg45988#msg45988 date=1225947055]
telemon- more pics please, I am not satiated quite yet!

Chris

Well, Chris, I hope that this helps.  http://www.telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=694104#694104

Great report, as always, Bob.  I will send you the pics of you coming down the NE face.

I wish now we had made a bigger deal of you and Chris' 5 year streaks.  Maybe a snow noogie or dumping a poly bottle of gatorade over your unsuspecting heads like at the Super Bowl.  Congratulations and many more turns to both Scotsman and Telemon!

For sure, that is impressive. Many more months guys!

I too just started my counter over after 19 months. Skipped august and sept. I don't even know if I will bother next summer. I guess that makes me a TAY-gaper. Although I prefer support staff.

Here are the few photos I took. Moslty scenery, and a few nice skinning ones.

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/luckyana/table%2011-5-08/

Reply to this TR

nov5-5-year-tay-tour-artist-point
Telemon
2008-11-05 18:15:29