Home > Forum > Safe Skiing Aspects After Periods of Settling

Safe Skiing Aspects After Periods of Settling

• juan
  • [jon_ambrose]
More
22 Dec 2003 10:34 #168734 by juan
I'm just wondering what everyones general opinions are on skiing particular aspects depending on whats happening with the weather and the snowpack.<br><br>For example, right now, it seems that really only north facing slopes are good for skiing, eveything else seems either rain affected or sun-baked and a bit crusty.<br><br>All the meantime, the snowpack should be stabilizing on all aspects as it becomes more isothermal and the slabs start to bond well to those buried weak layers from earlier this season. The rate of stability would seem to be greater on south facing slopes, considering the increased solar input.<br><br>So, after the next big dump, I would imagine that akiing on south facing slopes would be GENERALLY safer if the following things held true:<br>1) that new snowfall is not so much that it creates a slab that could release on the old (current) surface<br>2) the old surface has not formed a slide layer such as surface hoar or a rain crust.<br><br>North facing slopes would seem to be safer if the new snow bonds better to the (current) surface, which since it is north facing still has not totally set up like the south facing stuff.<br><br>Understanding this is all very general..Just trying to start an educational discussion.<br><br>Thanks<br>Juan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MW88888888
  • [MW88888888]
More
22 Dec 2003 12:13 - 22 Dec 2003 12:30 #168736 by MW88888888
Replied by MW88888888 on topic Re: Safe Skiing Aspects After Periods of Settling
Juan, a case in point and a facet of the discussion:<br><br>I took this on the South facing slopes of Snoqualmie Mountain yesterday because I had the same general thought pattern as you.<br><br> <br><br>As you can see from the 6"-8" of powder underfoot (this photo was prob taken at about 5,700'), elevation will need to be part of the discussion and determinent of avalanche danger.  The snow under the powder was a wonderfully firm base.  I figured as I read the avy reports on saturday that with the slow raising of avalanche danger to "low" at lower elevations the south facing slopes at mid height might go low as well.  And it did.  The thought process worked - the skiing was fabulous, and safe.<br><br>Oh, and I fear making "general" projections of safe snow elsewhere. I had been watching this particular snow slope for some time, so I felt pretty good about that one!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.