Home > Trip Reports > November 2, 2008, Muir Snowfield

November 2, 2008, Muir Snowfield

11/2/08
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Charlie Hagedorn on 11/2/08 12:02pm
      KingWilliam and I moseyed up from Paradise in search of new snow and wind. We found both. Skinning/skiing's still only sensible from/to Pebble Creek, but winter's on its way. Slab formation was brewing in windloaded spots. The windy whiteout (40 mph was forecasted - we experienced more where the terrain focused the wind) was largely benevolent on our way up to Anvil Rock but turned increasingly malevolent as spindrift turned to icy exfoliating precipitation on the way home. Skiing was fun, in the cerebral whiteout way. Snow level was a little below Paradise as we headed down the hill.

Saw a booting uptrack near our skintrack on our way out but didn't see the traveler(s) - hope everyone's home safe.
Nice!  Way to get Nov. early...it's looking like winter is on it's way this weekend!

up to 10 inches in the next couple of day, followed by >:( >:( >:( up to 10 inches of rain to 9,000 asl--I hope not; pray it all goes North not just the majority (10-14 inches of rain forecast for the SW slopes of the Olympics, and 6-10 inches in North Cascades); I don't want another winter closure due to flooding (or for my cabin to go down rive). :'(

author=acarey link=topic=11147.msg45867#msg45867 date=1225754552]
up to 10 inches in the next couple of day, followed by >:( >:( >:( up to 10 inches of rain to 9,000 asl--I hope not; pray it all goes North not just the majority (10-14 inches of rain forecast for the SW slopes of the Olympics, and 6-10 inches in North Cascades); I don't want another winter closure due to flooding (or for my cabin to go down rive). :'(

If the rain arrives as advertised, we should all be rather glad that we don't have a big snowpack yet....

author=trumpetsailor link=topic=11147.msg45871#msg45871 date=1225762887]
If the rain arrives as advertised, we should all be rather glad that we don't have a big snowpack yet....

It's really not the snowpack, but the newly fallen snow.  Great news, tho, they're backing off the really heavy rainfall forecast! :)

Hope you're right; the steady buildup ain't happening yet and a lot of rain would destroy what has started.

They've backed way off on the rain forecast; Paradise got 6 inches of snow last night; snowed here at my cabin (2000 asl).

I talked to Obama and he's going to drop the freezing level and bring massive snowfall to the central cascades if he's elected... :D

author=Stugie link=topic=11147.msg45906#msg45906 date=1225824585]
I talked to Obama and he's going to drop the freezing level and bring massive snowfall to the central cascades if he's elected... :D

I just spoke with Sarah Palin and she says it's already snowing and people are already skiing in Alaska because they are mavericky up there and Todd's getting his snowmobile ready for some moose hunting.
She said she's pretty sure she won't be VP this time around but as a consolation she had arranged for a heli trip to do some wolf hunting!

Reply to this TR

november-2-2008-muir-snowfield
Charlie Hagedorn
2008-11-02 20:02:55