Home > Trip Reports > December 21, 2003, kendall stump, snoqualmie pass

December 21, 2003, kendall stump, snoqualmie pass

12/21/03
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by stihlfree on 12/21/03 8:03am
on wed, the 17th, we headed out fs road 9090. once we gained the clearcut area we dug a rouch block on a south/southwest 37degree slope near the 4000ft level. we had a nice 9ft block isolated and had a distinct surface crust layer that had been warmed by the sun most of the day. we did this test at around 2:00. below this there was an unconsolidated layer of about three feet in depth. under this was a layer of 10-12inch large granular, icy snow. there was then compact snow down to the last 6-8of tg. our results were suprising with the block distinctly fracturing about eight inches down sending me down quickly. i had one ski on the block and picked up my other foot to have both on the block and didn't make it. we continued up a ways and the crust layer on top disappeard. the snow was really nice up there which we took advantage of on short protected slopes. it was a beautiful day so we stayed up there until dark. once back in the fortress of the crust it was survival skiing at its finest in the dark on the way back down. so the snow was super nice up high, but be careful. stay high

Reply to this TR

december-21-2003-kendall-stump-snoqualmie-pass
stihlfree
2003-12-21 16:03:20