Home > Trip Reports > Oct 27, 2008, MRNP, Camp Muir Pinch Me tour

Oct 27, 2008, MRNP, Camp Muir Pinch Me tour

10/27/08
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Mr_Burns on 10/28/08 2:00pm
When skiing on Mt. Rainier, how often do you get perfect weather, perfect conditions, perfect snow, no crowds, and a great group of friends?  5% of the time maybe?  That's what Sunday was.  50 degrees at the start, flaming red meadows, beautiful low, golden light, no wind, no crowds...
We stopped for a snack at about 7500 ft. and changed into our boots.  From there it was an easy bootpack up to around 8500 ft., where we put on our skins and skinned up the rest of the way to Camp Muir, where we found 2 (two) other people and t-shirt weather.  After savoring the view southward to Mt. Hood, we began descending with our best late summer high-speed GS turns.  The flawlessly smooth terrain and "hero" corn were beyond belief.  I have never seen such smiles on snow in October!

We ended our day with great food and culture at the Taco bus on south hill. 
What was that dude in the maroon shirt doing out on a MONDAY?

That dude is gettin' Mavericky, just call him Joe.

I think he was telecommuting.

author=Mr_Burns link=topic=11122.msg45757#msg45757 date=1225322630]
I think he was telecommuting.

Better than telegaping.  ::)

author=maryg link=topic=11122.msg45749#msg45749 date=1225308542]just call him Joe.

I bet "Amazon Joe" could field dress a marmot if he had to.

Thanks for a great fall trip guys!  Sorry to have missed you and the french tourist on Sat, Greg, but it was really nice to be out there on a beautiful weekday (now that I'm mavericky)  :).  Unfortunately the new visitors center is only open on weekends right now so we didn't get to see it.

a few more pics...

Paul- Your skis appear to be broken. They have a heel piece and the boots don't appear to have bellows. ???
Hopefully you have not gone over to the darkside for good, as you have always had one of the prettiest tele turns on the hill.

author=Paul_Russell link=topic=11122.msg45772#msg45772 date=1225379216">Unfortunately the new visitors center is only open on weekends right now so we didn't get to see it

It looks something like this inside . . .

Nice solid wooden architecture, though it looks like something you would park snowplows inside, especially from the SW. Pretty limited cuisine, too. When we were there, the snack bar wasn't yet open, but the sign said "hot dogs - 1 left" - the rest was chips and soda!

author=jdclimber link=topic=11122.msg45775#msg45775 date=1225385346]
Paul- Your skis appear to be broken. They have a heel piece and the boots don't appear to have bellows. ???
Hopefully you have not gone over to the darkside for good...

Good catch there jd.  I'm afraid I've fallen into a bad crowd of alpine ski racers this year and have lost my way ;).  I've saved one who is learning to tele...so you'll still see me with with the free heel.  But I have to say, the alpine thing is a lot easier!

Reply to this TR

oct-27-2008-mrnp-camp-muir-pinch-me-tour
Mr_Burns
2008-10-28 21:00:59