Home > Trip Reports > October 26, 2008, Mt. Rainier, Camp Muir corn

October 26, 2008, Mt. Rainier, Camp Muir corn

10/26/08
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Charlie Hagedorn on 10/26/08 8:29am
Except for the date, the subject suggestion suffices. Lots of people headed up today; I suspect the corn harvest is still in full swing. An obligation in town forced a quick trip - set new personal best times for the trip to Muir and the round trip, despite the walking.

Got to meet Hummel Sr. on the way down, which was pretty nifty.

Forecast looks good for early mid-week corn, for those who are so lucky. It'll be there for you. Unless the connection between the snowpatches gets scraped clean, it's easy to ski continuously to Pebble Creek. Corn 'o clock probably struck at about noon.

I'll leave the rest of the photos for rest of the harvesters.
Cool picture. Saturday was good as well, with almost no one there, but I did manage to snap this French tourist in action . . .

you beat me to it... was with Hummel and Scott & Steve & Troy -Angie and Steve -Barb-- also Mark & T on the way down..

as you say the entire snow field softened up nicely from Muir to Pebble creek.. wild winds from the start calmed to allow short sleeves most of the way up.  Muir was mellow, populated mostly with skiers today.
turns were sweet and soft from the get go. enough remaining new snow to cover the dirt.

further down autum colors ruled...

Thanks for the post....we'll see if we have the same luck tomorrow!

one of the nicest days Brenda and I have ever spent on the Muir Snowfield. Weather and snow quality were perfect from top to bottom. Weird how the nasty wind at the parking lot died off at the top of Pan Pt.

Nice to see you met my old man 'Mr Hummel' :). I also found some nice corn, but further north on baker's e side. Given this report, perhaps I should've shot closer to home. Sounds like I would've fared just as well or better? 

It sure was crowded up there on Sunday but I guess the options are limited if you want quick easy skiing.

Here's a photo of a couple of TAY'ers that I snapped on the ascent.

If you're interested, there are a few more photos here: http://blog.danielbuker.com

That first pic is awesome!  Love mornings like that.

Hey Buke, that's a great pic of the Snowdawgs ya got there.  What a great day it turned out to be.  Snowdawg, Snowdawg Jr., and myself all headed up together to get our October turns in.  This month makes the streak 3 years for Snowdawg and me.  1 more month to go for Junior to get his 3.  It was a pretty unreal ski from Camp Muir on down to Pebble Ck.  I don't think I've ever seen better corn on the Muir than that!  We made sure to have a couple of celebratory bottles of beer waiting back at the truck.  And then on we went to Scaleburger to polish it all off with an Overload Burger.  Good Stuff!  May November turns be deep!

We should have gone to Rainier.  Baker was beautiful, but only ice.

author=trumpetsailor link=topic=11110.msg45657#msg45657 date=1225063748]
Except for the date, the subject suggestion suffices. Lots of people headed up today; I suspect the corn harvest is still in full swing. An obligation in town forced a quick trip - set new personal best times for the trip to Muir and the round trip, despite the walking.

Got to meet Hummel Sr. on the way down, which was pretty nifty.

Forecast looks good for early mid-week corn, for those who are so lucky. It'll be there for you. Unless the connection between the snowpatches gets scraped clean, it's easy to ski continuously to Pebble Creek. Corn 'o clock probably struck at about noon.

I'll leave the rest of the photos for rest of the harvesters.
Wow, what a picture!  You need to sell that; I'll buy.

Hi all,

My friend Rob and I were also part of the crowd ascending Muir Snowfield for these high quality october turns. We chose to descend the Paradise Glacier, which offered excellent corn as well.
We saw some gappers at the bottom of the glacier, and a bit of bare ice in the last 200ft  but nothing too serious anyway.

It was a perfect day to celebrate my first 12th month in row of skiing (coming from the Alps, I never even thought of doing something like that before arriving in the Cascades).

More pics and a french trip report on skitour.fr.

i will leave the details to others who may wish to report. suffice it to say.. the snow field remained soft and easy to carve from Muir to Pebble Creek. 
winds were bringing in changes.. lenticulars forming  on the summits of raininer & adams.

fun to see Joe and meet Tele'Chick?

cheers

author=Jason_H. link=topic=11110.msg45667#msg45667 date=1225138596]
Nice to see you met my old man 'Mr Hummel' :). I also found some nice corn, but further north on baker's e side. Given this report, perhaps I should've shot closer to home. Sounds like I would've fared just as well or better? 

It certainly would have been easier turns, although we would not have been the only party on the mountain and it definitely would not have been nearly as much fun!  ;D

Clement ,
Welcome to "Paradise"

Reply to this TR

october-26-2008-mt-rainier-camp-muir-corn
Charlie Hagedorn
2008-10-26 15:29:08