Home > Trip Reports > October 22, 2008, Ptarmigan Ridge

October 22, 2008, Ptarmigan Ridge

10/22/08
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by iWill on 10/22/08 8:32am
Hi all, new here.

Finally had time this season to hit all 12 months instead of 9 or 10 as I've been doing the last few seasons. Started last season with the October 5th storm.

Had a pretty not-nice trip up the Coleman last weekend. That got me my October turns, but left me somehow...unsatisfied. So when this last storm hit, we called in "powder" and hit the trailhead at Heather Meadows.

There was about 4" at Heather Meadows, which steadily built to 8" at Artist Point. We kept on going out to Ptarmigan in search of an ice patch base on which to make turns. Found it. Made turns.

And nice turns they were. 12" of windblown dust on crust on a patch of snow big enough for three generous turns or five hoggy turns...the patch was wide enough for us to farm 3 runs apiece before the snow was tracked out.

Mission accomplished, we hiked back to Artist Point. From there it looked solid enough to run the road back down.

Coffee.....$4
Gas....$12
Skiing to the car in October...priceless.
author=iWill link=topic=11086.msg45569#msg45569 date=1224718358]
Skiing to the car in October...priceless.

We skied almost to the car 10 days ago - then we both rocked our skis when we ran out of snow and had to ditch into the ditch! 

Congratulations on your first FULL year.  Welcome to TAY. 
We were on the other side of the mountain today, probably where you were last week.  Trip report coming.

I've still got wounds healing from that ditch into the ditch.  Worth it, though.

The soonest I'll be able to get out will be Sunday.  Do you think any of that beautiful snow will still be around then, or should I wait another week in hopes of more addicitive white powder?

Reply to this TR

october-22-2008-ptarmigan-ridge
iWill
2008-10-22 15:32:38