Home > Trip Reports > December 19, 2003, Sawtooth Ridge, Wenaha-Tucannon

December 19, 2003, Sawtooth Ridge, Wenaha-Tucannon

12/19/03
Posted by David_Lowry on 12/19/03 7:42am
This is copied from a skijor specific board.  I apologize for the dog specific stuff.  Sawtooth Ridge can be reached with a one ride lift ticket up Bluewood and it is directly behind the top of the lift.  This, rather than the 6 mile approach on logging roads that I took with the dogs.  I post mainly because if you're ever out this way, its a delightful yet little known ridgetop tour suitable for light tele gear.  Please, take what you need and leave the rest...  Avalanche hazard was rated as moderate in this area today.

Finally got out on a shakedown today- blew off work, didn't feel
guilty at all. Brood bitch was going nuts as we loaded up this
morning. That did make me feel guilty.

The intermountain inversion hit about 16*F. About freezing down
in the Touchet Valley and 47*F at trailhead below Bluewood.
Made for some sticky snow. Luckily I threw in some fluorinated
liquid wax as an afterthought and used it twice on this tour.
Made a BIG difference.

The three doggo's are in great shape due to Tofflemire
Industries sand cart. I was able for the first time to use the pulk with 25 lb pack for the entire trip- about 2000vf in three miles 12 miles round trip out to Sawtooth Ridge behind Bluewood ski area 4 hours on the snow. Goodness that area is beautiful. Big
parklike fir and pine on open ridges. Big pineapple express
looming and blowing in from the South. Wore the pack and pulk
on my back for the final steep descent. Used the big Karhu
Lookout skis with plastic Garmont tele boots (veloces with
custom liners).

Tried the dogs on some trail breaking. They didn't like that, many imprecations ensued. Granted, I was too impatient to untangle the fan hitch and single them up. Patience is everything in this game and next time I'll do better. Snow was a week old yet still powdery with good consolidation underneath. Gotta get back there and set up a weekend camp w/ woodstove and tipi.
Hey Dave,

Glad to see you were able to get the time to get out!

I am not exactly sure of the location, is this the Blues?

Any photos?

We are still hoping to get out your way, but with a new job it is hard to put many free days together.

Alan

Hey Big Snow!  We'd love to get together with you and Little Snow for a trip sometime.  More on this later, but we had a litter of 6 husky pups and by next year, we should consider a dog-supported midwinter trip into Pasayten.

Yes this is the northern Blue Mountains.  This particular part is a really healthy beautiful forest whereas other parts have succumbed to pine beetle.  Snow doesn't get crusty here very often.  Great glade skiing too.  You come out sometime, we'll do this tour.

Merry Xmas!

Reply to this TR

december-19-2003-sawtooth-ridge-wenaha-tucannon
David_Lowry
2003-12-19 15:42:51