Home > Trip Reports > Ptarmigan Ridge Ice Fest

Ptarmigan Ridge Ice Fest

10/15/08
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by atbetty on 10/19/08 3:09pm
I was worried that I was not going to get my October Turns, but my husband pulled one out, got up early, made breakfast,  and drove us up to Mt. Baker.  We hiked up to Ptarmigan Ridge, and found some skiable patches on top of the ridge.  There were small patches on the Ridge top, which were all separated by rock bands.  Motivated by "RiotMaker" by TechN9ne on my son's ipod Nano, I skied the 500 foot snow patch (no I'm not talking vertical).  It was basically solid ice.  We climbed back up to another smaller patch, where the snow was less icy.  It was actually a little bit slushy at the bottom.  Every foot was wonderful, and I can't wait till next month. Ski On!
Good job Atbetty!  When you have lemons (October ice) you make lemonade (Icetober turns).  Way to keep it going.  Good on you photographer hubby, too.

The patch shown in the first  photo was exactly 400 feet
vertical on September 30 down the right fork, and 200 feet vertical on the (visible) left fork.  At least out the left fork looks about the same here.

The only difference between September 30th and now is that you had to walk farther for it.

author=Rusty Knees link=topic=11070.msg45462#msg45462 date=1224509508]
Good job Atbetty!  When you have lemons (October ice) you make lemonade (Icetober turns).  Way to keep it going.  Good on  you photographer hubby, too.
Thanks, I think it is snowing up there today. : ) This was my goal, but my husband loves it, hence the supportive photography.  Yesterday, I suggested that, next year, we should try to ski in a different state, every month.  I'd probably have to quit my job.  November should be easier for all of us.  Ski on.

author=Travertine link=topic=11070.msg45465#msg45465 date=1224514093]
The patch shown in the first  photo was exactly 400 feet
vertical on September 30 down the right fork, and 200 feet vertical on the (visible) left fork.  At least out the left fork looks about the same here.

The only difference between September 30th and now is that you had to walk farther for it.
Thanks, my husband didn't even have a map.  He's from Alaska he just goes by feel since Washington is so small.

This is my wife, and I have to say I am damn proud of her.  What she didn't say about this trip was that I suggested we hike out by the Chain lakes trail.  Not being the map carrying kind (who needs em, right?) I didn't realize that this meant a significant amount climbing to get back to the car.  It seems that route drops a lot, but then climbs back up to almost the high point again, before dropping to Bagely Lake.  It was just about dark when we got to the truck.  She's a trooper though.  No complaining, no crying, just kept on hiking.  I'm a lucky guy!

does she have a sister?  :)

author=Alaskier link=topic=11070.msg45541#msg45541 date=1224634847]
This is my wife, and I have to say I am damn proud of her.  What she didn't say about this trip was that I suggested we hike out by the Chain lakes trail.  Not being the map carrying kind (who needs em, right?) I didn't realize that this meant a significant amount climbing to get back to the car.  It seems that route drops a lot, but then climbs back up to almost the high point again, before dropping to Bagely Lake.  It was just about dark when we got to the truck.  She's a trooper though.  No complaining, no crying, just kept on hiking.  I'm a lucky guy!
Yes I do!  Do you want to meet the lesbian, or the other who is married and has three kids!  Neither skis.  Strange but true.

author=atbetty link=topic=11070.msg45551#msg45551 date=1224646015]
Yes I do!  Do you want to meet the lesbian, or the other who is married and has three kids!  Neither skis.  Strange but true.

Brilliant reply. I was fond of Cookie Monster's wry and ironic retorts and Snow Bell's always good for a laugh but this is a classic. You funny. ;D

At the risk of taking a great trip report even further off-topic...

A store that sells new husbands has opened in New York City , where a woman may
go to choose a husband. Among the instructions at the entrance is a description
of how the store operates:

You may visit this store ONLY ONCE! There are six floors and the value of the
products increase as the shopper ascends the flights. The shopper may choose any
item from a particular floor, or may choose to go up to the next floor, but you
cannot go back down except to exit the building!

So, a woman goes to the Husband Store to find a husband. On the first floor the
sign on the door reads:
Floor 1 - These men Have Jobs

She is intrigued, but continues to the second floor, where the sign reads:
Floor 2 - These men Have Jobs and Love Kids.

'That's nice,' she thinks, 'but I want more.'  So she continues upward.   The third floor sign reads: 
Floor 3 - These men Have Jobs, Love Kids, and are Extremely Good Looking.

'Wow,' she thinks, but feels compelled to keep going.  She goes to the fourth floor and the sign reads:
Floor 4 - These men Have Jobs, Love Kids, are Drop-dead Good Looking and Help
With Housework.

'Oh, mercy me!' she exclaims, 'I can hardly stand it!'  Still, she goes to the fifth floor and the sign reads:
Floor 5 - These men Have Jobs, Love Kids, are Drop-dead Gorgeous, Help with
Housework, and Have a Strong Romantic Streak.

She is so tempted to stay, but she goes to the sixth floor, where the sign reads:
Floor 6 - You are visitor 31,456,012 to this floor. There are no men on this
floor. This floor exists solely as proof that women are impossible to please.
Thank you for shopping at the Husband Store.

To avoid gender bias charges, the store's owner opened a New Wives store just
across the street.

The first floor has wives that love sex.
The second floor has wives that love sex, ski, and like beer.
The third, fourth, fifth and sixth floors have never been visited.

Reply to this TR

ptarmigan-ridge-ice-fest
atbetty
2008-10-19 22:09:37