Home > Trip Reports > Tele-What? on The Snowfield

Tele-What? on The Snowfield

10/15/08
Posted by Teleskichica on 10/19/08 1:47pm
Not it, not it, not it. 
No one's really sure who lost, but I've got the pictures, so please stand up and identify yourselves.
We'd like to tell you where we were, but it's a rather public stash and informing those in the know is a "duh" factor and for those not, well we'll just have to show you.  ;) Snow was hard, winds cold, sun beaming (but hardly warming), tele-poorly under-represented, but good company and I'm a happy chica!

Additional Photos here

Beautiful day up there. Forgot the camera and the watch. Snow was indeed hard, but stretches of softer snow could be found here and there. Even the scratchy stuff was smooth and mostly uniform. An excellent cap to an excellent week.

For those heading up that way (though it's probably precipitating already), continuous skiing was thin but possible from Muir to Pebble Creek. I didn't see any hint of the cracks in the snowfield in my trip to Anvil Rock, but I bet any bridges are thin. The upper mountain looks to be somewhat more filled in than this time last year (possibly even the Kautz chute, for those with aspirations in that direction. Don't take my word for it.), but the lower mountain is significantly less so.

Bring on winter!

It was a quite a party up there at Camp Muir!!! Beautiful day to be on the mountain.

More pics here from our much smaller group.

Hi Dan---first time since Baker I've seen your name in TAY.  Good job getting out with the twin-plankers.

What the 'ell is that Snowbell doing with his shirt on???

Have no fear Telemack, shortly after that picture was taken , he had his shirt off aswell and the two of them where posing like an Abercrombie & Fitch ad campaign for the Paradise tourists!

Good times and god company for sure. It was nice meeting new people, matching faces to handles, and getting some turns in!

drC

author=Teleskichica link=topic=11069.msg45458#msg45458 date=1224478023">
Not it, not it, not it. 
No one's really sure who lost, but I've got the pictures, so please stand up and identify yourselves.
We'd like to tell you where we were, but it's a rather public stash and informing those in the know is a "duh" factor and for those not, well we'll just have to show you.  ;) Snow was hard, winds cold, sun beaming (but hardly warming), tele-poorly under-represented, but good company and I'm a happy chica!

Additional Photos Here

Great pictures, we should have gone to Muir.  Looks like there was some freshy fresh. OK, much more than there was at Ptarmigan Ridge-where there was none.

author=atbetty link=topic=11069.msg45504#msg45504 date=1224562542]
Great pictures, we should have gone to Muir.  Looks like there was some freshy fresh. OK, much more than there was at Ptarmigan Ridge-where there was none.

I think the only thing fresh we encountered was the waiter at Puerto Vallarta on the way home.  ::)
Ahh, but the snow.  According to Scotsman, anything new had dissipated and consequently, we were on some pretty hard packed, albeit relatively smooth and still just slightly carveable snow--which improved greatly as we lost elevation.  Vertical feet made up for lack of quality snow--and really it was good a good way to kick off year three of tele-TAY.

What a wonderful day to be on Rainier.  We put together a fun group and enjoyed excellent skiing conditions.
I was nice to meet you Dr.C and also good to run into Dan at Muir.  Thanks to my friends for making it a great outing.

author=telemack link=topic=11069.msg45482#msg45482 date=1224539880]
What the 'ell is that Snowbell doing with his shirt on???

Sorry Mack.  My nipples were starting to get chapped.  I'll email you some material from my latest shoot.

Good times were had by all.

Thanks to : the drivers for carpooling (Altasnob and Scottsman), Teleskichica for representing "tele-____", Dan Engel for trying to let me pass him (and for representing splitters out there, nice group pic btw), Snowbell for sparing us the nipples, Scottsman for his bubbling personality, Altasnob for the great pics (making me look better than I am), DrCrash for his helpful skiing tips and wild ride in the car (the nickname does come from somewhere!), and to Jeff (snowbell's friend) for putting up some airs and a good show, oh wait- also thanks to the waiter at the restaurant hitting on Teleskichica- quite entertaining!

Hope we can all enjoy some skiing from the car soon.

pics- http://picasaweb.google.com/christopherlyles/Muir?authkey=SsqQ4w8WMtg#

Chris

Fun times were had. Here's a pic of Jeff's air:

and more pics here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jay.w.wilkinson/MuirSoItBegins#

author=danengel link=topic=11069.msg45469#msg45469 date=1224518541">
More pics here from our much smaller group.

Re the following image:

Isn't that sooooo cool? And when there's enough hoar frost, you can actually ski it (it's sometimes called "loud powder" because of the way it sounds as you ski it). This one was huge, the moisture probably sucked out by the morning fog.

drC

author=Dr. Crash link=topic=11069.msg45502#msg45502 date=1224562008]
Good times and god company for sure. It was nice meeting new people, matching faces to handles, and getting some turns in!

drC
Love the picture.  At Ptarmigan, I saw similar formations but what I saw at Ptarmigan was more like needles.  Hubby wasn't interested so I didn't get any pictures. How does this form?  I was going to share this with my class.

Yeah, those crystals were almost big enough to ski. Very cool formations, especially 10mm away from them! God I love macro photography!

Skierlyles, I tried to go slow enough for you to pass me, but crawling was no longer an option!!! :D

It was great to meet the famous Scotsman! When I posed the rhetorical question at Camp Muir, "Why the hell do I do this?", he responded by saying "It's kind of like repeatedly hitting your thumb with a hammer-it sucks while it's happening, but you feel great when it stops." Very well said, Scotsman!! Very well said, indeed!!

author=atbetty link=topic=11069.msg45557#msg45557 date=1224649502]
Love the picture.  ... How does this form?  I was going to share this with my class.

Hoarfrost forms when air of just the right dampness comes in contact with a surface that's below freezing. Once a crystal starts to form it can keep growing as long as conditions stay at the delicate balance point where the water vapor directly crystallizes into ice without becoming liquid water. If the air is too damp it just forms fog, which wipes out the nice sharp crystals and makes us lose our way in the whiteout.

I've seen lots of hoarfrost but never captured it in a picture as nice as this one. Good eye!

Reply to this TR

tele-what-on-the-snowfield
Teleskichica
2008-10-19 20:47:03