Home > Trip Reports > 17 Oct, 2008, Ptarmigan Ridge(?) fog and ice

17 Oct, 2008, Ptarmigan Ridge(?) fog and ice

10/15/08
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Snoqualmonix on 10/19/08 8:55am
The passing of mid-October made it necessary to use a day wisely--weather be damned--if I had any hopes of hitting my 12th month.  Missing out on what looked like fresh snow last week, and the possibility of a sunny weekend, we still headed up to PR on a rainy Friday. 

Almost immediately after passing Silver Fir CG and starting up the hill we were in the clouds where we would remain for most of the day.  As posted elsewhere, the road was closed at Heather Meadows and any of last-weeks snow above here was long gone from the rains. 

Only my second time at Artists Point and Ptarmigan Ridge, though it wouldn't have mattered if I'd seen the views and the route one thousand times as visibility ranged from roughly 30'-400' at any given time.  Irregardless there was much for both of us to be happy for and we generally blissed-out on a day spent in the mountains enjoying things closer to our observational senses; careful observation and questioning of the various rock types under-foot, the suddenly vibrant colors of late season white and pink heather with only clouds for contrast, endless song and preaching of hidden birds, the clouded apex and tongue of every snowfield we skied-giving us the false hope of endless runs, the sound and feel of icy but  carveable surface, and a late season blueberry patch that was still delicious.

Walking a ways out onto the ridge, with no sense of distance or height in the fog, we started descending snow fields (lapping the first several times) one at a time until making it  back to (roughly) the area just below the saddle south of Table Mtn. where the trails fork.  Several dozen turns in I could have cared less whether or not it was on powder or fog, happy for a little freedom and the chance to continue my streak.

Wow, I'm glad I went for a hike this weekend instead.  Still, glad you enjoyed your turns, hopefully without any core shots.  Here's to next weekend being a little whiter below, bluer above, and softer all around.

Way to get out there even in the bad weather.  Sometimes those are the most memorable trips.  Congrats on getting 12 months!

First year in the books!  Good job Alpinemorg.

Reply to this TR

17-oct-2008-ptarmigan-ridge-fog-and-ice
Snoqualmonix
2008-10-19 15:55:32