Home > Forum > Mountaineers, Families

Mountaineers, Families

• Alan Brunelle
  • [BigSnow]
More
17 Oct 2008 12:52 #183356 by Alan Brunelle
Mountaineers, Families was created by Alan Brunelle
Hi All,

Now that the kid(s) is starting to participate in the sort of outdoor stuff that includes backcountry skiing and mountaineering, does anyone out there have an opinion as to whether the Mountaineers would make sense for this family. 

I have to assume that many if not most of the bc skiers in this area frequent this site yet I do not see a strong connection to the Mountaineers, at least not mentioned by name, other than the occasional event stated.

We are less interested in courses, etc. that are offered by the organization, but more as a place where we can bump into people with similar interests and, of course, those who have kids with similar interests.

Back in '93-94 I joined and took the climbing course and did a fair amount of teaching in that course, but I have to admit that I let the membership lapse because I always got shut out of the sign-up phone line, never could get on a climb, but yet was often asked to help out with some course or the other.

It would be nice if there was such a presence in the club.  Otherwise this forum seems to have potential to fill those needs.

Thanks,
Alan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Robert Connor
  • [robert]
More
17 Oct 2008 15:19 #183364 by Robert Connor
Replied by Robert Connor on topic Re: Mountaineers, Families

Otherwise this forum seems to have potential to fill those needs.

Thanks,
Alan

Alan,
I don't know if there are kids groups in the Mountaineers, but this site and the kids forum at cc.com (it is spray free and safe for all of those not comfortable with they typical cc.com atmosphere) are good resources. My daughter (5 years old) is a few years behind your son, so this is a topic of great interest to me. I would love to participate in some trips with other kids or roughly comparable ages. Kids have more fun when they are with other kids. If my daughter gets the hang of powder skiing I will post some trips to the partner forum. If not, I will wait until corn season which I know she can do. I would also like to hook up with other families skiing at the local resorts. We typically ski Stevens.
Robert

More
17 Oct 2008 18:19 #183366 by Robie
Replied by Robie on topic Re: Mountaineers, Families
We might get Jeff S to have a say in this, As he used to help out at the Snoqualomie Mountaineers lodge when his kids were younger. One big advantage of the Mountaineers for families are thier lodges at Stevens Pass ,Mt Baker and the Meany hut. All are family friendly and a inexpensive way to stay and ski the slopes. All have lifts nearby and backcountry also.
I'm sure The club has other programs as well for younsters.
I'm a card carrying member myself and been quite happy with the skills Ive learned from volunteer instrutors. The Glacier Travel and Crevasse rescue class by the foothills branch is top notch.

• Teleskichica
  • [Teleskichica]
More
17 Oct 2008 18:29 #183367 by Teleskichica
Replied by Teleskichica on topic Re: Mountaineers, Families
Alan-
Where are you located?
How old are your kids?
How much exposure have they had to winter recreation?

I have a six y.o. daughter and eight y.o. son and live in the Tacoma area--a little shy on gear this year, but they enjoyed getting out last year and I know I certainly did! They've done x-country and lift served down hill--oh yeah and the time I took them "climbing" up the bunny hill for an "earn-your-turns" experience . . . I digress. It can be great fun getting the kids out and more kid outings would be fantastic!

• Alan Brunelle
  • [BigSnow]
More
18 Oct 2008 21:45 #183376 by Alan Brunelle
Replied by Alan Brunelle on topic Re: Mountaineers, Families

Alan-
Where are you located?
How old are your kids?
How much exposure have they had to winter recreation?

I have a six y.o. daughter and eight y.o. son and live in the Tacoma area--a little shy on gear this year, but they enjoyed getting out last year and I know I certainly did! They've done x-country and lift served down hill--oh yeah and the time I took them "climbing" up the bunny hill for an "earn-your-turns" experience . . . I digress.  It can be great fun getting the kids out and more kid outings would be fantastic!

We have been tied to Stevens for some years now because of location and because of ski club programs. My son is 11 and daughter 6. My daughter has been chomping at the bit to get out, but time seems best served with exploring the terrain at the ski hill where lessons take place and we can take short side trips off trail as an introduction.

My son is a different matter and we have done trips up in the hills this year. The differential in ages will make things interesting over the next 5 years or so, but that doesn't mean that I or my wife cannot do trips into the backcountry with my son.

Regarding the Mountaineers, I do like the prospect of using the lodges as a means of access. I suppose that we may cross paths with similar families, but the locations at major ski areas leads me to believe that they will be populated by those more interested in the lift served skiing and also mostly singles.

Please correct me if I am wrong in my assumptions, that is why I posted.

My guess is that we will join, stay at the lodges from time-to-time and we will just find out for ourselves.

Alan

• jhamaker
  • [jhamaker]
More
27 Oct 2008 18:30 #183456 by jhamaker
Replied by jhamaker on topic Re: Mountaineers, Families
For the price and the lodges go for membership. It's a volunteer club, if you want something promote it and organize it. Tacoma is organizing family stuff.

• snowdawg
  • [snowdawg]
More
27 Oct 2008 21:26 #183466 by snowdawg
Replied by snowdawg on topic Re: Mountaineers, Families
One thing that has always worked for me is friends that my son looked up to and have the patience to put up with, well, kids. I've been lucky to have climbing and skiing partners willing to teach and motivate my son.