Home > Forum > Pole plant pain in palm.

Pole plant pain in palm.

• alecapone
  • [alecapone]
More
15 Oct 2008 05:34 #183300 by alecapone
Pole plant pain in palm. was created by alecapone
Hi..

I have been having a sharp slicing pain in the palm of my hand. It's most likely carpal tunnel syndrome. Not here for medical advice, just curious if this is common, and if it is a risk for those who use poles. I'll go and see a doctor about it.

Started last winter and gradually got worse. Went away for the most part over the summer, and came back with a vengeance yesterday. Suspect it was from hiking a few thousand feet on Friday. I only use poles for hiking, and skinning on the way up. i also work in a part of construction that ruined my wrists, so that is probably the main factor. It's just skinning is when I notice it the most, until yesterday.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Oct 2008 18:32 #183306 by blitz
Replied by blitz on topic Re: Pole plant pain in palm.
every thing you could want to know about CTS is here

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpal_tunnel_syndrome

doctor is going to say stop using your poles so hard,

maybe you can invent a new way to hold your poles...

• Kneel Turner
  • [Kneel Turner]
More
15 Oct 2008 21:38 #183308 by Kneel Turner
Replied by Kneel Turner on topic Re: Pole plant pain in palm.
Not that you don't know this, and I didn't come up with it, but there is a "right way" to orient the strap/wrist/grip interface, and I often see people (experienced people) doing it "wrong". Hand up through strap, over strap, and around grip (lightly). W/ the correct grip, the hand really doesn't grip at all. The strap does all the work. The grip can be released in a fall, or at any time, and the grip falls clear of the hand, while remaining retained by the strap. If you put your hand directly through the strap and around the grip (the "wrong" way) then the hand must do the work of gripping and the grip remains in the hand during a fall, and is a common cause of injury. Also, when held "correctly" the strap loop is big enough to put a bulkily gloved hand through w/out having to tighten the strap while skinning. If it seems I've made a big deal out of this, its because I used to do it "wrong" and am very greatful someone showed me how to do it "right". If this makes no freakin sense, ask a nordic skier. They'll make an even a bigger deal about it than I did :).

• alecapone
  • [alecapone]
More
16 Oct 2008 06:52 #183311 by alecapone
Replied by alecapone on topic Re: Pole plant pain in palm.
haha,, cool SN kneel turner!

Thanks for the tips. that is how I usually hold my poles. With that in mind, maybe I need to make my straps a touch more comfy. Maybe I'll use them a bitmore.

Thanks for the link up there too!

I have all the symtpoms of CTS plus some. Considering the work I do( jack hammering, hammer drills, elctric tools that will shake your fillings loose), it's no surprise. Now to prepare for the even more painful task of trying to prove it is work related. I had the sensations long before I ever hiked with poles in my hands.

More
16 Oct 2008 09:22 #183312 by blitz
Replied by blitz on topic Re: Pole plant pain in palm.
Maybe invent a ski pole that weights your forarms instead of your hands, like those funny crutches that parapalegics and people with cerebral palsy use.  It would be weird (or uncool :)) but might be a safer tool that the current one we use.

Couple years ago I hurt both my thumbs in a single unlucky tumble. I now grip my poles thumbs in line with fingers but just makes the CTS worse.

More
16 Oct 2008 10:39 #183318 by Salal
Replied by Salal on topic Re: Pole plant pain in palm.
No doctor here..but have you tried lightly wrapping your wrist(s)? Thats what I did in high school when I boxed washers and screws for work...seemed to help. Being a landscaper I'm addicted to epsom salts and ice nowadays for pain relief.