Home > Trip Reports > Oct 12, 2008, Mt Baker, Heliotrope Ridge

Oct 12, 2008, Mt Baker, Heliotrope Ridge

10/12/08
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by bwood on 10/13/08 2:02am
Hit the parking lot roughly 9:00. Saw another group of three skiers. Two of on board, never been to the area. I'm an amateur climber and partner is only a rider, so we planning to avoid any true glacier travel.
We hiked up, trail had snow-cover/patchy ice above ~4300 ft(estimated alt.)  Left packs at trail-split and went to viewpoint to check out the large crevasses and seracs of lower Coleman(?) glacier. Went back to climber route to right. Made slow progress as we left arm leading to main ridge, trying to determine best route to ride-able field. This was half an exploratory mission. Found a 300 ft snow field that topped out with glacial ice/ mini crevass terminus and bottomed out to patchy rocks. Got ~1500-2000 ft of vert between noon-3. Headed back down. Ride-able snow was above ~5600-6000 of vertical. Another 12-18 inches would really open up longer 1000ft+ runs.  Options would be more open for skiers, but the interspersed rocks were too much for a couple rusty snowboarders. ~500 ft of vert below strap out point had the look of rideable very soon with small rocks and short grasses. Higher fields looked ridable, but interspersed ice(no crampons, partner in hiking boots), and small crecvasses(no helmets, rope, etc.)
Overall, great exploration. Never seen Baker close before(only ridden resort in the clouds). Great weather, sunshine, never got above 60 I'd guess. Few clouds(lenticular) caught on summit towards tail end of day.  I loved the views and getting to understand the lay of the land of the baker area again.
For good turns, I'd recommend waiting for another 12" to open up some longer runs.
p.s. I forgot my camera, but my buddy brought his. Waiting for his e-mail.
Welcome to TAY!  Thanks for the tr.

Great trip report.  I was thinking of going there last weekend; it's good to get an idea of the conditions.  Next time you head up there, try heading west as soon as you get up to the snowfield.  In the early summer its all good skiing, but as the summer/fall progresses the safer (less crevassed) and softer snow hangs out longer on the west end, closer to Marmot Ridge.

That's a beautiful area, and perhaps my favorite ski run for overall joy.  Glad you found it!  If you really want to understand the Baker area, follow it up with a hike/ride along Ptarmigan Ridge, and you'll find yourself familiar with both the east and west faces of Baker.

Yeah, we noticed that further that direction and maybe higher up there looked to be a large snowfield. With the detour to the look-out and the time already spent we decide to go with the slope we knew we had. Now that you've confirmed my suspicions of that area I'll definitely head that direction if another chance appears.
I'm trying to figure out what to do next weekend, but with the rising than dropping snow levels forecast I might just go backpacking.

I'm up in the air too.  Right now it looks like a good dumping on Thursday -- I probably can't scam Friday off, so Saturday I might be looking for a partner.  If that snow turns to rain, well, I've got a lot of stuff to do around the house...

Reply to this TR

oct-12-2008-mt-baker-heliotrope-ridge
bwood
2008-10-13 09:02:22