Home > Trip Reports > Early bird gets the Rain? Muir Oct 12

Early bird gets the Rain? Muir Oct 12

10/15/08
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Kyle Miller on 10/12/08 10:03am
Made a early start up to Camp Muir to take advantage of the sunrise over the tatoosh range to find it poaring rain down at paradise around 6:30A.M. Being optimistic Chris and myself decided to head out in the rain. By the time we had made it to pebble creek we were soaked and it had finally started transitioning to rain/snow. We kept moving for the promise of powder at higher elevations as the weather was puking on us. At around 9'000 feet we decided to rest for awhile as the visibility was less then fifteen feet but earlier we noticed that blue sky was in the horizon. As the clouds lifted we started moving and at around 9'700 I took a step and the snow started collapsing on me as I jumped back it exposed a big stress crack (crevasse) about a foot wide and bottomless. I exposed the crack so it was obvious to anyone in the area and slowed my pace down dramatically. It was sketchy because there was no warning signs of any source so the rest of the way to the summit I felt like I was walking on a mine field.

As for the conditions on the way down it was shin deep consolidated pow for the first thousand feet. Then it turned into a few inches on top of windslab slowly transitioning into mashed potatoes. We were lucky enough to strap into our boards within seconds of the sun coming out at camp Muir so the upper slopes were not yet sun affected.
couple questions for you:

you made an early start from muir? or from paridise?
you mention the summit but turned around @ 9,700 feet.. just trying to figure out your trip progression? thanks

We made a early start from Paradise and after I stepped into the crack at 9'700 feet I backed away a few steps then travesed across the snowfield a couple hundred feet then ascended to Camp Muir

Sorry about the confusion

We got the rain driving up and in the Paradise lot, but it stopped just as we decided to get ready.  Lots of carveable fresh above 8000'.

Reply to this TR

early-bird-gets-the-rain-muir-oct-12
Kyle Miller
2008-10-12 17:03:05