Home > Trip Reports > 2008-09-21. Muir snow(rain)field

2008-09-21. Muir snow(rain)field

9/21/08
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by atbetty on 9/21/08 12:13pm
Needed to bag my September turns.  After waffling Saturday, due to weather, my husband and I decided to go to Paradise this sunday.  It was raining and misting at the parking lot, but we went up anyway.  We got soaking wet hiking up to Pebble Creek, but started skinning just above (around 7200'??).  Visibility was about 80 feet.  it was real nice!

Skinned up to about 8800' level on hard crunchy with maybe 1/2" of new (mostly frozen rain).  Coming down was not really great, with lots of sun cups, and glissade trenches.  Didn't see anyone else except for some RMI led groups, who didn't look to be having a stellar time.  I think their guide fees aren't going to get them much more than a soggy trip to Muir.

We skied back down to Pebble creek, and then stayed in our boots, and skied every snow patch we could find.  The best snow was lower down.  My husband forgot to bring the camera, and quite frankly, the visibility was so poort, you wouldn't see much!  :-)

If I hadn't commited to skiing at least once per month this year, I don't think I would have gone.  I hope it snows a bit before I head up to get my October turns!
Congrats for completing your September turns!

Thank you for sharing. This makes me feel better about going to the "Last Resort" the week before, when at least the sun was shining  ;)

And welcome to TAY for your first TR.  ;D

Thanks for the report. I considered doing the same yesterday. Makes not feel so bad that I ditched my plans and went to work instead. 

Congrats on getting the hardest month done.

Reply to this TR

2008-09-21-muir-snow-rain-field
atbetty
2008-09-21 19:13:52