Home > Trip Reports > Paradise Glacier, 9/16/08

Paradise Glacier, 9/16/08

9/15/08
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Moscawulff on 9/18/08 3:36am
Don (Rusty Knees) and I took leave on Tuesday from our busy schedules in Seattle; he from his landscaping business, and me from my new found life of unemployment. The weather at Rainier was warm (75 degrees) and clear as a bell; we figured the corn was ready for harvest.

Starting up the Skyline trail towards Muir around 11 AM we weren't sure where the best crop was, but received reports from down-climbers that Muir was lousy, low-snow, and icy.  We ate lunch and took a sun-nap on the moon rocks (8900 feet) and then skiied on Paradise. For September skiing, the glacier earns its namesake...the surface was wind-blown moguls; the corn was about 3'' deep, damp, and a bit slow...perfect for keeping the pace appropriate to scout and avoid the crevasses. At 7600' we were "crevassed out" and had to boot back up about 100' and then traversed over to the base of The Surgarloaf. From Sugarloaf to McClure Rock the snow was mini-moguls/large cups, and chatterrrrryyy. We carried over McClure to gain another half-dozen turns in some sweet white corn, ending at 7300'--1600' total vert. The hike out from that point is roughy two miles.

It's amazing to think that in a months time we could be where we were last year, skiing from Muir to the parking lot in 3-4 feet of consolidated with a a foot of fresh! I swear I felt October in the air last night, and the clouds this morning are an ominous looking curtain to our potential for Indian Summer, will we get an early season on Rainier?

author=Moscawulff link=topic=10912.msg44690#msg44690 date=1221762977]
... and me from my new found life of unemployment.

Nice choice Brad, unemployment is where it's at!  Maybe we can schedule to meet up on powder days this season.  I am also glad to hear of Don shirking working to ski.  It wont be long until its time to load up the mans van for a powder pilgrimage.  ;D

author=Moscawulff link=topic=10912.msg44690#msg44690 date=1221762977]
It's amazing to think that in a months time we could be where we were last year, skiing from Muir to the parking lot in 3-4 feet of consolidated with a a foot of fresh!

October 21st '07.  You and I were pretty well lost on the Muir Snowfield just over 9K.  That stands as the most disoriented I've been to date.  As I recall, I feel over several times as just where up and down was eluded me.  Good times.

(BTW- nice pics)

Hey Brad!  Thanks for the great trip.  Some highlights:
*Sleeping in the sun on the warm rocks,
*cruising down warm corn,
*a belly flop as I tried to slide over that little crevasse,
*my 2 year anniversary,
*a cold porter at the refurbished lodge
- The only way life could be better is if Barack was skiing with us. ;)

author=Snow Bell link=topic=10912.msg44693#msg44693 date=1221772973]
I am also glad to hear of Don shirking working to ski.  It wont be long until its time to load up the mans van for a powder pilgrimage.  ;D

It usually feels like I'm shirking skiing to go to work.  The TAY Vanpool is ready for a road trip!

"barack skiing with us" what a dream! :) :) :D ;D
i love it!

Nice TR Brad -- I didn't realize you were going with Don, who I've peripherally met once or twice.  We'll all have to get out this winter sometime.

author=coyote link=topic=10912.msg44704#msg44704 date=1221830390]
"barack skiing with us" what a dream! :) :) :D ;D
i love it!

That's great... :)

Reply to this TR

paradise-glacier-9-16-08
Moscawulff
2008-09-18 10:36:17