Home > Trip Reports > December 11, 2003, Alpental

December 11, 2003, Alpental

12/11/03
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by MW88888888 on 12/11/03 5:42am
The party may be nearing an end, but the last hoorahs of skiing Alpental pre-season are still as good as ever.  

I left the parking lot at 6:15 and followed the blessed cordouroy of the busy snowcat up to the mid mtn station.  In the light of my headlamp I could see the snow at the edge of the cat track was 6"+ of fresh, and of course, it was snowing very lightly.  The base was 41" down at West, so 4 feet of cover didn't seem an unreasonable estimation for the higher Alpental parking lot.  With the new snow and a little elevation, the mountain was transformed into mid winter attire.

The upper section required a little more effort, but I was able to find the uphill tracks from the day before which eased the struggle of climbing.  Delightfully, when I would hit less condensed snow, I would struggle in hip deep powder until I could reorient myself.  This was a good omen for the descent.  At the summit, the fog had rolled in, and light was scarce and flat.

AH the crisp smell of a new snowboard.  I peeled back the plastic on my new 173 Supermodel and adjusted the bindings over my boots in a snug fit I had missed.  

The descent was grand.  The upper mtn was delightful light powder that cascaded down with me in the steep sections of the Schluct chute.  I was able to cruise right out the edelweiss bowl  but found the clouds had rolled in thick lower down.  I dove into the trees and played in their  good visibility until I reached the bottom.

Back at the car by 9.

Reply to this TR

december-11-2003-alpental
MW88888888
2003-12-11 13:42:00