Home > Trip Reports > Ptarmigan Ridge Weekend, Saturday, Sept.13/08

Ptarmigan Ridge Weekend, Saturday, Sept.13/08

9/15/08
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Telemon on 9/15/08 4:43am
 Although Ptarmigan Ridge is my location of choice for late summer and autumn turns, this last weekend had a number of "firsts" for me. They included bc skiing with a snowboarder (also, his first fall boarding trip), meeting a bunch of new TAY faces, skiing several new slopes and staying in a different section of Camp Kiser under a full moon. Last September, my son,Gabe, and I spent a wonderful weekend on the Ridge, when we had the slopes to ourselves http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=7756.0  This year the word must have got out, because we meet eight other turns all year snow enthusiasts. Compared to the multitude of hikers on the trail this might not seem like a big number, but skiing company is a rare occasion for me in the fall.

Telemack and his wife were supposed to join us Saturday morning, but they had to leave Artist Point due to a medical emergency as we were arriving. We did meet Rod, a fellow Canadian streaker, at his bivy site below the Coleman Pinnacle. He had just returned from a early morning run on the Sholes Glacier. Our paths did not cross again, although we did see him from our campsite the next morning as he dropped down the snowfield below the C.P. After setting up our campsite (complete with a "refrigerator" and running water) on the east side of Camp Kiser (Photo 1) we only had a 5 minute walk to the snowfield visible to the south from the Ptarmigan Ridge trail. The slope that looked kind of daunting from the distance, presented a quite mellow angle once we were on it. Lordhedgie arrived just after Gabe and I had dropped down to the narrow section. As he noted in his TR, the sun cups were rather obvious, but not a deterrent to our enjoyment. Photo 2 shows Gabe and Dustin in the throat section.

The next slope of the day was also a first-timer for us. A broad slope south-east of our campsite (that can be seen from the Artist Point parking lot) provided a smoother surface, so I ran it twice. (Photo 3). After watching a couple brave?? individuals splashing among the ice flows on the tarn below our ridge, we hiked back to our campsite with a 1,000vf of turns completed on the day. We had million dollar views as the sun set and the full moon rose.Sunday's TR to follow.
Yes!!  I love bivying and waking up to clear blue sky and warm sun!  Skiing pow is great, and probably one of life's greatest gifts, but earning summer turns can really have it's perks!  I love that first pic...really made me smile at the wonderful trips with their little perks that can really only be had in summer!

Three photos really couldn't give an adequate representation for the day, especially with 3 cameras in action; so check out this trip report  http://telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=47968  It was still hard to narrow the selection for this extended photo log.

Bob

Thanks for showing up, T-Bob, and I did get my first September turns in at Rainier the next day.

Great trip report, Bob!  Really a feast for the eyes.  I'm glad you posted the extended report on t-tips.  Did the Coleman Pinnacle snowfield have more snow this year than last year?

I'll keep trying to connect with you.  Hopefully this winter...which may come any day now. ;D

Don

author=Rusty Knees link=topic=10900.msg44683#msg44683 date=1221703480]
Great trip report, Bob!  Really a feast for the eyes.  I'm glad you posted the extended report on t-tips.  Did the Coleman Pinnacle snowfield have more snow this year than last year?

I'll keep trying to connect with you.  Hopefully this winter...which may come any day now. ;D

Don

I have never seen the upper and lower sections of the south-east C.P. snowfield connected in the middle of September before, Don. That was almost 700vf.  Dave_R and his wife skied on the north side of C.P. last Sunday, so you should ask them for an assessment of that snowfield. I will likely be back to Ptarmigan Ridge in October; I will try to give you a heads up as plans unfold.

It was hard to cut down the 100s of nice photos that were taken on the weekend to produce a manageable t-tip report; so you can see why it was impossible to represent the day with only 3 TAY pictures.

My sprained ankle feels better after reading your fine TR at telemarktalk.com.  Thanks for that.

author=ridngoofy link=topic=10900.msg44768#msg44768 date=1222116384]
My sprained ankle feels better after reading your fine TR at telemarktalk.com.  Thanks for that.

I spent 30 years employed as an Industrial First Aid Attendant. I believe that would be the first time that I fixed an injury with a TR. :) ::)

Reply to this TR

ptarmigan-ridge-weekend-saturday-sept-13-08
Telemon
2008-09-15 11:43:48