Home > Trip Reports > Sept 10, 2008, - The Palmer Couloir

Sept 10, 2008, - The Palmer Couloir

9/10/08
Posted by windaveski on 9/10/08 8:54am
A quick intro- I don't post much but browse now and then.  Most of my trips are either best left quiet or are reported by my pal Joedabaker who writes far superior prose to anything I could come up with.  This solo trip however, seemed worth reporting for those hungry for September turns.

The Palmer couloir, you say??  Well of course, right down the middle of the Palmer snowfield on Mt Hood, and it is September so a little imagination seems fair.

No wind in the gorge and Timberline isn't running lifts so .....
8:30 in the parking lot.  10:30 on top of the Palmer after a very quiet  skin up.  Nap for a half hour until the snow softens up.  The snow is a little dirty and rough as they haven't groomed in a while, but then I spot a clean, white, smooth line about 6-8ft. wide, right down  the rope line between the public lane and the camps (except there is no rope).
It's a little tight but seems like the obvious choice.  After the first few turns on my little 175 tele's the imagination kicks in.  Ski with mentality and focus like there are vertical rock walls on either side.  A mistake could be costly.  And yet I know there is an out if I mess up, so I can really go for it.  Kind of like what race drivers call a runoff lane.

A mundane run in September turned into a very memorable trip  :D ;D

- that was a trippy, liittle trip report; it's always a good idea to know how much softening has occured - especially in those couloirs, Cheers !

Nice job Dave, way to get those September turns, gritting it out on the fierce Palmer Couloir.
Well written for a lurker. Your retirement is kicking in, naps after skinning that huge vertical on the Palmer. Good riddance work!

Reply to this TR

sept-10-2008-the-palmer-couloir
windaveski
2008-09-10 15:54:43