Home > Trip Reports > 2008.09.07, Seedy Baker

2008.09.07, Seedy Baker

9/15/08
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by skykilo on 9/8/08 2:59am
Coleman-Deming is in possibly the best condition I've witnessed for early September.  The bergschrund is relatively easy to cross and the route featured corn the whole way.  No suncups.  Que lindo.
Cool I may be going up there soon.

A friend and I climbed/skied the Coleman Deming yesterday...saw two skiers coming down the Deming as we were going up, maybe that was you?  Anyway, I agree...by far the route is in the best shape I've seen it in for September.  Other than walking down the pumice ridge for a couple of hundred feet, we were able to ski off the summit and all the way down to the hogsback camps at 6000' without taking off the skis...

thanks for the beta, sounds worth the travel from down south

Can I get in on the Baker action?

I did Heliotrope the weekend before this one.  I was planning to go back this weekend, but the forecast held me back.  I may go this coming Saturday; if you're interested, perhaps we can go together.

The east side is pretty bad in my experience.  Pockets of good, but nothing like Heliotrope.  I've heard OK things about heading up higher than Heliotrope, but Skykilo's report is the most glowing I've seen by far.  I haven't ventured up past Heliotrope for that reason.

I love Washington. Some photos........

\

Saw you guys on the hike up the day before.  My wife and I camped at High camp the evening you arrived, and the next morning went up to the Park Butte lookout early on our way to the car.  Sure enough, saw you with a high-power monocular in the lookout tower as you were getting over the crest! 

I too love WA. 

Thanks for the tip fellas.

In the first photo, is that the Sister's range in the background?

Reply to this TR

2008-09-07-seedy-baker
skykilo
2008-09-08 09:59:16