Home > Trip Reports > December 10, 2003, Three Way Basin

December 10, 2003, Three Way Basin

12/10/03
Posted by Zap on 12/10/03 4:11am
Powder days are here again !  After all the reports about a crust down low, I thought the upper backcountry bowls near Crystal should still be in good shape.  Stopped by the patrol office and they confirmed 4" overnight plus an easterly wind that may have filled in the bowls.  It was snowing lightly all day with a very light breeze.  Skinned up under the Quicksilver lift which was closed.  There was a beautifully groomed cat track from the top of the Quicksilver lift into Silver Basin.  Only encountered 3 downhill skiers coming out and they were grinning.  The cat driver continued the track from the bottom of Silver Basin up to the base of Three Way Peak.  This made the 1900' climb a breeze.  

With the flat light and snow showers, visibility was limited in the bowl but the tree lines were great.  Only saw 2 tracks in the basin and had the whole place to myself.  There was 8 - 12" of powder throughout the basin. No crust or windpack or avy debri - just tasty, cold dust.  The only bad thing was I had to break trail to recycle.  It was still snowing when I left and continued to snow to Greenwater.  Should be good again tomorrow.
:)

Zap

Reply to this TR

december-10-2003-three-way-basin
Zap
2003-12-10 12:11:19