Home > Trip Reports > Table Mountain, September 7, 2008

Table Mountain, September 7, 2008

9/15/08
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by lowrider on 9/7/08 11:35am
Found about 600 vertical feet of descent from the top of Table Mountain in the north cirque. Gorgeous bluebird day with some bulletproof suncups in the shade but delightfully soft and skiable snow in the sun. Found sketchy moat issues or cliffs a couple of places I tried to access the snow, and ultimately found it easiest at the westernmost corner of the plateau. I enjoyed returning to the rhythm of skinning on the return; its been 4 weeks. My first year attempting TAY and my first September turns! I think October will require significantly more hiking.

Most difficult part was descending the road, as today was the Mount Baker Hill Climb and there were hundreds of cyclists.
Uh, I'm pretty bad with dates, but I think today is the 7th.

I can't swear what it'll look like next month, but I'm betting October will require more hiking.  Not too much, though.  Good luck completing the summer!

Did you see any new snow?  I haven't been up to Artist Point in a few weeks, but we got snowed on last weekend on the other side of the mountain.

author=lowrider link=topic=10868.msg44512#msg44512 date=1220841337]
Found about 600 vertical feet of descent from the top of Table Mountain in the north cirque.

Can you give some more detail on what/where "the north cirque" is?  And did you see any snow farther out on Ptarmigan Ridge?  tx

Indeed, the 7th.
What I am calling the North Cirque was the terrain from the farthest end of Table Mountain (west) and to the right (north) toward the saddle and plateau to the North. The blue on the topo map pretty much correlates to this persistent snow field.  It is the snow that is visible approaching Artists Point on one of the hairpin turns. Ptarmigan ridge looked pretty bare until the Coleman Pinnacle and around there it looked to be similar 600-800 foot vertical patches. Any new snow was gone.

"significantly more hiking"?  Ye of little faith (alright, you're often right) - significantly more hiking unless it involves no hiking at all - in the fresh pow of the new season!  Who's with me?!!!

Reply to this TR

table-mountain-september-7-2008
lowrider
2008-09-07 18:35:37