Home > Trip Reports > September 1, 2008, Muir Snowfield freshies

September 1, 2008, Muir Snowfield freshies

9/1/08
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by silaswild on 9/1/08 9:06am
Much cloudier then expected from the forecast on the drive south from Seattle and up the hill from the park entrance. We started hiking in a cloud just after 9 am, encouraged by occasional glimpses of fresh snow on the lower reaches of the mountain. There were patches of ice on the trail right from the start and soon a light dusting of snow. At 7000' it began to clear and we found an inch of fresh covering the old dirty snow just beyond Pebble Creek.

The foggy cloud followed us up to our high point at 9700' by Anvil Rock where there was about 4" of clean fresh snow!  The traverse over to Muir was less well covered, so we decided to forego that entertainment.  We had a snack in sunny calm conditions, and then headed down into the fog soup on the nice smooth white magic carpet.  Gotta love Mother Nature's Labor Day present.  Conditions were a bit sticky, and we had forgotten wax, but the tour was still most excellent. 
Sounds a lot like Sunday.  Foggy with new snow...  Welcome to Fall!

Nice goin Silas!  Happy Labor Day to ya.  I shoulda gone today, 4" of the white stuff sounds wonderful.

I was at the Paradise Patch on Sun helping Stewie get his August turns and it was snowing heavily there. Good call on getting early September freshies.

author=silaswild link=topic=10854.msg44434#msg44434 date=1220313964]
Gotta love Mother Nature's Labor Day present. 

I'll have to agree with Silas.  I saw him in the lot that morning but my buddy Jeff and I were too lazy to go over and say hi.  We had set a goal of relaxation for the day and were off to a good start.  Having arrived at Paradise around 8, we managed to start up at 10:45.  Right on target.  Despite our expectation of general clearing, I managed to bring along a few more items than I usually carry in the summer months (rain pants, poly coat, goggles,...) and was glad that I had.  I seem to have picked up a thing or two from some of you old over prepared types.   ;)

The clearing that we found at Pebble Creek followed us up to Muir and shortly after we arrived it began to snow.  We moved into the public shelter and resumed relaxing.  One we were good and relaxed, we chose to just relax and wait.  We thought it would either clear or accumulate.  We were pleased with either scenario.  After several hours of lounging and peeking past the coming and going climbers for a peek outside (it snowed the whole time), we figured it must be getting late and that we had better get to it (it was nearly 5:00).

The vis was bad.

The snow was good.

My best September turns thus far ensued.

We made good time down to Pebble Creek (2-3 short carries) where we transitioned in heavy precip and began the walk down.  We emerged from the rain a few hundred feet above Paradise and arrived at the car and dry clothes at about 6:30.
I could hardly believe that it was September.  It was more like September (September -December) ::)

The reverends are some tight boards...

We did Longmire to Mowich and were camped at Klapatche first night.  That morning we had big, soft flakes falling onto our bivys.  Definitely thought of the possibilities higher up...glad you guys reaped the goods!

author=Stugie link=topic=10854.msg44467#msg44467 date=1220468824]
The reverends are some tight boards...

Glad you noticed them in the picture.  I ski on Revs, too, when the powder's deep.  It made me jones for winter seeing the rev schussing down the mountain!

Nice timing on the fresh stuff, Silas!

author=Snow Bell link=topic=10854.msg44463#msg44463 date=1220424146]
... Silas.  I saw him in the lot that morning but my buddy Jeff and I were too lazy to go over and say hi. 

Yeah we saw two guys loading skis on their packs, figured we'd see them as they passed us on the way up.  Never saw you, now we know why.  :)

We made good time down to Pebble Creek (2-3 short carries) where we transitioned in heavy precip and began the walk down.  We emerged from the rain a few hundred feet above Paradise and arrived at the car and dry clothes at about 6:30.

We were down about 2:30PM, had lunch in the Paradise Inn.  Saw dark clouds with apparent precip above 6000' as we drove out of the parking lot, glad we missed it.  Home in time for the annual block party, the day's exercise allowed me to eat whatever I wanted from the potluck buffet!

Freezing level forecast for 13500' this Sunday night, 8000' higher than last weekend, wow.  Back to late summer hiking and climbing.

Hi everyone, I'm totally new to TAY.  I was skiing with Silas on Monday and I think his report sums up our experience perfectly.  As for the Reverends, this was a great first ride.  Obviously my setup is heavy, but I'd definitely do it again for Sept 1 skiing!  We did stay above the clouds for a bit at the top, as mentioned (see photo).  How much fresh came before you started grooving, Snow Bell?

author=jaygantz link=topic=10854.msg44492#msg44492 date=1220576601]
Hi everyone, I'm totally new to TAY.  I was skiing with Silas on Monday and I think his report sums up our experience perfectly.  As for the Reverends, this was a great first ride.  Obviously my setup is heavy, but I'd definitely do it again for Sept 1 skiing!  We did stay above the clouds for a bit at the top, as mentioned (see photo). 

Nice picture.

Don't worry too much about Silas, he's a light and fast type guy.  I stopped feeling bad that I couldn't keep up with him a long time ago.  I didn't feel bad Sunday when it started snowing, and I was the only person in the party who had an extra pair of pants and a jacket in my backpack. ;)

Welcome to TAY, and welcome to summer skiing!

author=jaygantz link=topic=10854.msg44492#msg44492 date=1220576601]
How much fresh came before you started grooving, Snow Bell?

Let's get one thing strait  -  I never stop grooving.  (I pause my groove for sleep and Dr. Phil, but that's it)

Welcome to the community Jay G.
I am sorry that my pal and I didn't come over and say good morning the other day but we were not sure that our condition (laziness) was not contagious.

As for fresh snow; I'm not sure how much came down while we on the hill but it sure skied nicely.  I would think that 6" of fresh would be an exaggeration so I'll go with 5.75".   ;)
A good introduction to summer skiing for you.  It's always like that.

author=Snow Bell link=topic=10854.msg44494#msg44494 date=1220588445">
A good introduction to summer skiing for you.  It's always like that.

...and you will always get your photo on the cover of T Tips.

author=Snow Bell link=topic=10854.msg44501#msg44501 date=1220650030">
...and you will always get your photo on the cover of T Tips.

What the heck??? Telemark Tips putting a non-tele turn skier on the cover???
I never thought I would live to see the day!
Unless of course, on tele gear, not making tele turns.
But that is a whole different beast to possibly be discussed in Can Somebody start a good argument??? Right Telemack?

Way to get the turns and 'freshies' no less!!!!!!!  Now you've got me thinking about handing out (begrudgingly...) $$$$$$$$$ (to THE EVIL EMPIRE...POWDER CORP)  for my early season "discount"  season  pass for of course, Mt. B.  Nice that you have big 'R' in your backyard...ski pow just about any time of year...it looks like.

author=Joedabaker link=topic=10854.msg44503#msg44503 date=1220653657]
What the heck??? Telemark Tips putting a non-tele turn skier on the cover???

That's the best tip that one can give to telemarkers; fix your heels.  ;D

Reply to this TR

september-1-2008-muir-snowfield-freshies
silaswild
2008-09-01 16:06:04