Home > Trip Reports > 31 August - Heliotrope Ridge

31 August - Heliotrope Ridge

8/15/08
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by lordhedgie on 8/31/08 2:40pm
Photos will be posted tomorrow, sorry.

Zackalope, Jeff_S, and myself left the trailhead around 9AM, and hiked up to the treeline under overcast skies.  As we broke out of the trees, light snow began falling, and a thick fog enveloped us.  We soldiered on, dodging crevasses big enough to swallow a VW Bus.  The snow got worse, with 3-4mm graupel coming down horizontal and the thermometer reading 35 degrees.

When we got to the top, there was a miracle and the sun came out.  The temperature rose, and we were treated to the sight of the Black Butte coated with a good layer of new snow.  I would estimate about 6 inches of moderately recent snowfall over the area.  We ate lunch.

Just as we prepared to ski down, the fog rolled back in.  No suncups, soft beautiful snow.  Dodging crevasses in the fog is never fun, but we followed our tracks down safely.  Near the end we found the new snow had filled in our footprints, and we had to stop a few times to find the safe way down.  I'd guess we got close to a half-inch of snow while we were up there.

Bottom line:  Try it again when you can see where you're going.  Heliotrope Ridge remains the best snow in the state, hands down.  It's just gotten a little more dangerous, but there are plenty of safe routes down.  The trail has been repaired, no logs down, new bridge.
Photos posted as promised.  I've put my best 28 up at my web site, but here are the best three:

Upward into the fog.

Yes, it snowed on us.  In August.

We did get a bit of sun, though.

High-res versions available on request.

Great trip, thanks guys!

As someone who's spent all weekend moving, ALL those pics look great! Way to harvest summers bounty, if not booty...

It's been a great summer for pow-pow.

I'll take good snow with fog over good weather with crappy snow any day.

Great trip; thanks.

I like the pix. I take it you like the new camera.

author=jeff_s link=topic=10852.msg44483#msg44483 date=1220542706]
I like the pix. I take it you like the new camera.

Love the new camera.  You should see the raw 17 meg images.

Reply to this TR

31-august-heliotrope-ridge
lordhedgie
2008-08-31 21:40:28