Home > Trip Reports > 08-22-08 Camp Muir

08-22-08 Camp Muir

8/22/08
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by campwire on 8/25/08 10:10pm
I know, not another trip report to Camp Muir, but who would have thought there would be some fresh tracks at the end of August!!  I wasn't expecting the skiing to be any good (I just hate walking down), but was pleasantly surprised with no sun cups a little localized fresh snow over the old dirty stuff.  As previously reported there was 3000 feet of continuous skiing.  There was only one other skier on the slopes and lots of guided climbers back from their summit bid.  The only negative is my old boots are heavy and I need new ones. 
Congratulations on your first post!  At least you got to slide those big bad ol' boots down the hill.   ;D

On the subject, does anyone know if this wet summer weather is part of a longer pattern?
I read somewhere this spring that we may well be in the middle of a 2-3 year La Nina pattern with another winter like the last one in store!  -can't remember the source....

I was thinking about the up coming winter yesterday and i found this link

http://www.almanac.com/forum/read.php?9,196837,259244,page=125

Scroll down to the august 16th & 25th entry.  It's for north Idaho mostly and i don't understand most of it, but i sounds promising. 

Reply to this TR

08-22-08-camp-muir
campwire
2008-08-26 05:10:27