Home > Trip Reports > Fresh on Flett - 8.22-24.08

Fresh on Flett - 8.22-24.08

8/15/08
Posted by Stugie on 8/25/08 3:51pm
Kyle, Jill, and myself headed to Mowich with plans to ski the Flett.  After camping low Friday night, we headed up to the Flett and were surprised to find fresh fillers from the previous nights storm.  Although very sun affected, it was none-the-less fresh snow - in August.  No complaints.

Kyle and Stugie on Flett

Photo by Jill O'Brien

Although there was fresh, the corn was good all around.  In fact I thought it was Thanksgiving.  And the great weather, no sun cups or exposed ice, and fresh filler, it was turning into quite a nice day!

We skied and boarded until our weary legs could carry us no more.  We got back to camp and crashed.  I unfortunately have the "I'm-so-excited-to-ski-and-sometimes-forget-to-eat" syndrome, so I went to bed early feeling ill.  However, with the stars out bright, the moon shining on Rainier, the lights from the city down in the Puget Sound clearly visible and gusts of wind that seemed to reach near 40 mph (I'm guessing), it was somewhat difficult to sleep.  It was not so difficult to wake up to the amazing sunrise we got to see though.

Camp

Photo by Jill O'Brien

Alien invasion?

Dragons breathed their fire into the sky.

We descended Sunday morning, tempted to get another run, and after reaching the bottom of it, wishing we would have.  Either way, we left feeling fulfilled with grins from ear to ear.  A great trip and a quite a bit of vf for August.  Good times, good friends.

Alpenglow on the Willis Wall and Liberty Cap Glacier

A marmot scrounging up his breakfast

Returning to traffic, work, & bills...

Photo by Jill O'Brien
Thanks for the inspiring TR and especially the great cloud pix!

I'm praying for further fresh snow up there in September, as I'm under orders to take off at least 10 days from work in the next month.

Wow, Breathtaking photos.
That's a fantastic overnighter.

I second - breathtaking photos, that dragons breath one is especially incredible.

Glad the cups were filled in for ya - definitely hard to complain about smooth snow in August!

Nice sunrise shots!

Reply to this TR

fresh-on-flett-8-22-24-08
Stugie
2008-08-25 22:51:25