Home > Trip Reports > August 25, 2008, MRNP Paradise Patch - The Bionic Leg Tour

August 25, 2008, MRNP Paradise Patch - The Bionic Leg Tour

8/25/08
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by JMor on 8/25/08 12:28pm
Ron and I decided to head to Paradise and knock out the Paradise Patch.  With all my new internal lightweight hardware firmly in place and "official approval" (finally) from the orthopedic surgeon, it was now time to really test out the "bionic leg"  ;).  We decided on a non weekend day to avoid the crowds and to be able to go at a leisurely pace  :).  Amazing what a few weeks of non skiing/hiking can do to ones athletic abilities.  We flew in, actually didn't go quite that fast but walked at a snails pace, to the top of the Paradise Patch under low clouds and light wind.  The "Patch" is in great shape except for a few large glide cracks at the top.  The snow had minimal sun cups but was soft enough to make some decent turns.  It was a great day to be out enjoying the mountain  ;D.
Way to streak!  Another advantage of Mondays is fewer Meadow Rovers    ::)

Meadow Rovers eh - that's their official moniker? Andrew called them 'Volunteer Flower Arrangers" - that still cracks me up.

Anyhow - way to get out! Weather down in town wasn't the greatest, was it decent enough up on the mtn?

Spill the beans---are you now in the AFC?  ("August Freshies Club"  8))

author=telemack link=topic=10831.msg44291#msg44291 date=1219769354]
Spill the beans---are you now in the AFC?  ("August Freshies Club"  8))

Well let's see, I've been laid up for a while and it's been quite a while since I've seen freshies, so I suppose to me yep, freshies it was ;). 

Jeanette - GREAT job!!!  I look forward to skiing with you in Sept!!

Way to go J.....another August in the books!

author=wolfs link=topic=10831.msg44282#msg44282 date=1219731931">
... Weather down in town wasn't the greatest, was it decent enough up on the mtn?

"Decent enough"?  Yeah that would sum it up nicely.
No rain. "On instruments" car to top of climb. Broke out of the cloud base at the bottom of Golden Gate face on the way back down. Broken clouds and sunbreaks after that.

You did fine, Jeanette, really.

As a matter of fact, I rather enjoyed it. I believe it may have been the first hike I've ever been on where I was the strongest climber of the group.  ::)
It was quite refreshing; made me feel like I was in shape and everything.

I'll enjoy the feeling for the time being 'cause I'm sure, with your discipline, it won't last long  :'(

Here's the MadDog dealing with that dreaded First (real) Turn after coming back from her broken leg:

"Hummm - Looks Steep"  (it was... over 40 degrees  ;D

"OOohhhh shhiit"

"Nailed it"

More pics posted under the marmot that witnessed the entire spectacle:

"I could do that."

Gary - Thanks for the destination suggestions.

Congratulations Jeanette.  You are an inspiration to all! 

I was thinking, too, that if I ever break my leg, I want to do it just like you.

More powder to ya ! Hope to share some with you soon.

Way to go Jeanette!

Thanks everyone for the kind words  :D. 
Wow, that first BIG turn was way scary, :) but after that it was just like riding a bike  ;D.

Reply to this TR

august-25-2008-mrnp-paradise-patch-the-bionic-leg-tour
JMor
2008-08-25 19:28:02