Home > Trip Reports > December 7, 2003, Lake Ann Butte

December 7, 2003, Lake Ann Butte

12/7/03
Posted by Gregg_C on 12/8/03 8:49pm
Like many, I was pleased to see the snow on the hills just outside of town saturday morning.  The next morning saw the usual suspects; Jim, Mark, Mike and Steve meeting at the Baker parking lot for a day backcountry.  I successfully lobby for the high slopes near Lake Ann to get above the crust layer.  The drop into Swift Creek proves to support the wisdom of our decision.  Three inches of dry snow over a crust.  
Steve is not completely pleased with the decision as he was expecting a mellow run out to Coleman Pinnacle.  For skiis he has some waxless tooothpicks and track boots.  Rattling down the icy tree wells and tree bombs of Swift Creek he maintains a constant refrain:  "this isn't quite what I was expecting."  But the man wrote the book-literally-on telemark skiing so he manages with much more flair than I could ever muster.  It has been a decade since I tried to get the pin skiis to work and twenty years removed from the days of 220 Karhus.
The snow out on the Butte and Lake Ann Mountain is splendid.  Visibility is not the greatest but we enjoy ourselves anyway.  Mike and Steve head back after one run.  
As a diversion we decide to climb Lake Ann Mountain and ski off the top.  Mark and Jim decline to takle the final hundred feet of steep 45 degree boot packing with me.  The run off the top was challenging because of the visibility and the steep angle.  I cut across the slope to the ridge leading to the west and whoop my way down the edge of the gulley to Steve and Jim waiting below.  A traversing descent back to our up track tickles our fancy with 18-22 inches of recent storm snow.  The final pitch down through the trees to the crust layer at 4,400 ft. gets everyone stoked for another run.  
Up we go again for a final run and a race to get back before darkness.  The headlamps come on at Austin Pass and we pause to enjoy the lovely sight of the ski area lit up below us.  I provide some comic relief  when I blithly drop off a ten foot lip before the cat track.  Dam that ruins the zone when you suddenly find yourself air borne in the dark.   ???

Another good day was had by out foxing the conditions.  Sometimes ya just gotta get high....
Ha!  I think I've also been had by the drop-off that claimed you...

Gregg neglected to mention that the steep, bad visibility entry from the summit of Mt. Anne was also wind-scoured to bulletproof raincrust.  Coincidentally, I just happened to have stopped a hundred feet below to adjust my bindings; I don't recollect what Jim's excuse was.  

This is the second time I've returned from that tour after dark in December.  Last time, however, there was no boot to knee-deep  powder involved, and no climbing back up for second helpings.

Reply to this TR

december-7-2003-lake-ann-butte
Gregg_C
2003-12-09 04:49:13