Home > Trip Reports > Aug 21 Paradise Glacier

Aug 21 Paradise Glacier

8/15/08
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Jonathan_S. on 8/21/08 11:20am
Hiked up on the regular trails, starting on Fourth Crossing (i.e., that small parking lot in the big turn coming around from Paradise).
Maintained trail eventually disappeared into snow, and we started skinning.
Approach through flat snowfields in several broad basins is very long, although scenery is interesting.  Just be careful of possible undermining from all the water coming through.
A few very short portages, just minor inconvenieces though.
Then rope up and onto the glacier.
Stick to climber's right on the first pitch -- lots of crevasses in the center, although predictable b/c of the obvious topography.
After that, the broad flat area had to very (very) small holes -- one obvious, one hidden, both were kind of surprising in that area.
We then kept skinning up to 9.000' -- at an obvious rollover is a series of predictable crevasses, but lots of smooth areas.  Just pay attention.
Skiing conditions on the glacier were absolutely wonderful:  wet powder on top of soft smooth summer base.  (Skiing conditions on the flat snowfields in the basins were just transportation skiing, although pretty good for that.)
Weather was a bit of everthing:  undercast, overcast, clear, sunny, windy, calm, rain, snow.
Could you ski this by accessing it from Muir?  Well, yes, and when we were at 9,000' we were almost right next to my GPS track from two days ago.  But you'd have to very confident in conditions and route finding to do that. 
Pics to follow eventually.  (Just a quick rpt from Whittaker's for now for anyone interested in weekend options.)
author=Jonathan_S. link=topic=10812.msg44213#msg44213 date=1219371653]
Skiing conditions on the glacier were absolutely wonderful:  wet powder on top of soft smooth summer base. 

Looking at the telemetry I was wondering if you got any new snow. I was thinking, best bet 6 inches at Muir, Maybe??
Way to get out and hit it up on your trip out West Jonathan!
Welcome back,
Joe

We had freshies today on the Paradise  8)  Report coming.

author=Joedabaker link=topic=10812.msg44218#msg44218 date=1219380166">
... I was thinking, best bet 6 inches at Muir, Maybe??

Good instincts, Joe. GATOR REPORTS 6" at Muir with one foot drifts in places.  Rock on.

Jonathan, it's good to see you nailed some acceptable August skiing on your visit.  Come back and see us again when you cal stay longer!!

Being in Seattle with Slush Cup in progress was frustrating, but alas, this trip was primarily non-skiing.
Complete week-plus TR here:
http://www.telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=47416

Paradise Glacier pics:
http://picasaweb.google.com/jshefftz/20080821ParadiseGlacier

Nice trip report, Jonathon!  I'm a bit surprised that at least one of the moderators let this pass with all of the photos, since it is suspiciously close to his hidden stash. ;D

I appreciate all of your detail.  Thanks for the pictures.  After your report, I'm thinking of swapping out my ski poles for two umbrellas.    Kudos for your wife going with you for some of the elevation gain!

Ah yes, my partner mentioned how a certain nearby area was a secret stash for a certain skier...

Reply to this TR

aug-21-paradise-glacier
Jonathan_S.
2008-08-21 18:20:53