Home > Trip Reports > Norway, Bergen

Norway, Bergen

8/15/08
Europe
Posted by skimtner on 8/20/08 6:55pm
  Three hours east of the port city of Bergen lies one of the larger glaciers of Norway. It goes by the name of Folgefonna. Glacier travel is popular here, & there is a small ski resort which they call a sommer ski-centre. They have one t-bar with 800 vert. and the lift is fairly long.
    Most of the runs are off-piste, and the snow surface had very small suncups. The turns were a blast. The best part about the day was my cousin and I were the only ones there!  There were some 'fresh' groomers, as well.
    The other unique thing here is glacial ice intersects the lower part of the hill. On one run I came across a small crevasse that had blue ice about 8 ft. high. If you're ever in Europe in summer, check out this place. Temps. were mild with just a wind jacket needed. Rentals are offered and a lift ticket w\ rental is $100.
Nice!  Sounds like a good time!

Any shreddin' in Norseland must be mighty fine---the birthplace of Tele and Christie!  8)

Great TR - Nice work on getting in some Norse turns.

I agree, summer in Norway is a great place to be. I was over there visiting family last month and got a chance to tour around the fjords outside of Bergen. Never made it up to the Fogelfonna, but did have a chance to drive over the highest pass in the country, the Sognefjellet. There is some excellent summer ski country accessible right from the highway (see photo). Wish I took my skis!

thanks for the replies, I'LL HAVE TO ASK MY COUSIN re the pass  up there. I WOULD LIKE TO GO THERE AGAIN IN AUGUST !  ********

Here's a link for more info, courtesy of my nephew Jostein, who has boarded there 3 summers. Snakker Norsk?

http://www.prohd.no/Frames/ProHD_Folgefonna.html

Yeah!  It is great to see a report from Norway!  Awesome!

Looks like a dream-scape, thanks for sharing!

Reply to this TR

norway-bergen
skimtner
2008-08-21 01:55:28