Home > Trip Reports > SLUSHCUP 2008

SLUSHCUP 2008

8/15/08
Posted by Joedabaker on 8/17/08 2:21pm
What a day for Slushcup 2008!
Many participants, the weather was reasonable, while many dressed to combat the cooler air by the water. And yes, the water was colder than anything you can imagine. I know from experience.  ;)
Light winds and spittle rain here and there, but the temps remained in the 70's for the most part. The overcast gave way to some warm sun later in the day. which made post sliding picnic a delight.
Very nice to meet new folks, and see friends from past skis.
Thanks to those who shared their food, many delicious "homewreckers", cookies, salads, chips. Thanks to MadDog (not even there, but we missed you!) and her famous cookies-a Joedabaker thumbs up!
A lot of fun with a great sporting group!

Picture 1-Evil Knievel hits the water-
Picture 2-Evil plans his next move-
Picture 3-Gotta love a face shot!
Awesome day on the pond!!!  Great times with plenty of photo documentation ;) 
http://picasaweb.google.com/chriscass1/SlushCup2008TatooshRangeAugust172008

I can't believe I missed out on seeing Evil Knievel!!!

Cass: nice photos. 
And Ron J -- what are you doing with my girlfriend!? ;)

More pictures

http://picasaweb.google.com/ahtnguyen/Slushcup2008?authkey=x_a0tEBnBqQ

Great photos all, looks like everyone had a great time, even "Dolly" ;).  I missed being there, but had a great time celebrating my mom's birthday.  Glad you enjoyed the cookies Joe, looked like a nice picnic afterwards.

Danny thinks I had too much fun ;) (there is no such thing). Mad_dog we missed you. Ron, Jerry, Chris, Darryl, it was very nice to see you again after all that time.

It was fantastic to spend the day up there with so many nice people, and there sure was great ski-pond-skipping!

drC

PS: Danny has tons of pics in addition to that one, and I hope they'll be linked here soon.

Hey all.
Thanks for a fun day!
Here's my 2 cents/pixels.

piste out,
jessica

author=Mad_Dog link=topic=10799.msg44152#msg44152 date=1219084050]
Glad you enjoyed the cookies Joe, looked like a nice picnic afterwards.

Jeanette - thanks for providing the "home wreckers" and cookies.  A number of the male egos were severly deflated after seeing the "wreckers".  We missed you!!

What great documentation Jessica!!!
Sure sorry that I missed it.  Hopefully next year . . .

Wow, I gotta say I DEFINITELY would have rather been there than pulling a double shift...there's always next year.  Great pics - bummed about missing the "homewreckers"  :'(

Nice pics Joedabaker, Jessica & others.  I've been laughing all day.  I am proud to accept all responsibility for Ben Knievel's appearance at SlushCup 2008.  He wasn't even thinking about outfits until I told him he needed to make a surprise appearance in his Burner classic.  You all rock & I think we should do this more than 1 time per year, as Phil stated to me on the hike in! :)

Also, I hope Emily's arm injury doesn't impede on daily activities too much.  I give her kudos for going down that trail 1-handed!  Here's to a speedy recovery!

Great day, great fun!  Nice pix all, and more photos here

Evil Kneivel - Rest in Peace @ Reflection Lakes

Great pictures everybody and a great day.

I saw a bumper sticker today that I think it is appropriate for the slushcuppers.

"TOO MANY FREAKS, NOT ENOUGH CIRCUSES"

It was Pam and Stewie's first slush cup and they swear never to miss one again.

It looks like another great time - congratulations on pulling it off again (and staying within the MRNP rules)! I'm sorry to have missed this. I was hoping to bring my kids this year, but we were backpacking all week and I didn't even see that this was happening until Sunday morning, plus we had out of town guests so I couldn't have come anyway.

I've seen a lot of good photos already, and there must be more. Anyone interested in sending me photos to post on TAY home page? I could run a new one each day. If so, here are some details:
-- send up to 5 of your best photos;
-- landscape orientation preferred;
-- if you send originals, I will crop/resize down to 1024x768 (landscape) or 600x800 (portrait);
-- if you want to do the photo editing, crop/resize down to 1024x768 (landscape) or 600x800 (portrait) and save as JPEG with medium compression (photoshop setting of 5-7);
-- please include the names you want used for photographer and for subject(s);
-- your photos will not be used for any other purpose;
-- send to: photos1THINGYturns-all-year.com, where THINGY is the symbol that means "at".

I had a choice of coming down to represent Canadian TAYers or back pack with my son on the Musical Bumps. I picked the latter. Hopefully, I will make it to the event next year. The pictures indicated that a lot of fun was happening.

I was predesposed with the flu after mountain biking all day in the blazing heat. I spent all sunday in misery bummed I missed slush cup, an easy august ski, and a great time. Nevertheless, I'm glad I got Josh, Christy and my old man, Kurt to go. From the photos it appears they were dressed up and providing plenty of entertainment.

BTW Ben, the Kineval suit was awesome. I think my old man may be buying one of those Ben. Watch out, you may have competition next year ;)

What a great time!!  Thanks for sharing the photos, I wish I took more than this one of Dave Coleman sporting my skirt, but I was simply too busy having a great time.  ;D

I did learn attempting to rescue someone from the water is best done holding on to someone so I don't get pulled under.  Maybe Phil will share his photo of Amar and I submerged, too funny. 

I hope Emily is quickly healing from her gash, what a trooper!  You were in our thoughts Jason, sorry you had to miss the event and glad to hear it wasn't Josh's grilling.  ;)

Good God, that was an incredible day!! It was awesome to meet so many fun people. I can't wait for next year's Slush Cup! I'm already planning my next costume. I think it might include pom poms.
:)
Jason, so sorry you were ill. I hope you're feeling better!! If you'd like, you can wear the coconuts this weekend. 

Boy oh Boy! I guess I missed the boat this year...but not really.  ;)
I actually missed the festivities because I was buying a boat. Ben appears to have stolen the show with the "speed-suit". I am a little surprised the pond required as much prep-work as it did.  Gotta make it next year, for sure!

author=mzchristy link=topic=10799.msg44185#msg44185 date=1219191999">
Good God, that was an incredible day!!

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Quite a hoot. 
Great to see old acquaintances again and meet those new friends I hadn't met yet. Thanks all for contributing to a great time and for all the great pics.  I seemed to have filled up a 2 gig card before the day was over, myself.  Some are posted HERE.  Email me if you'd like a copy of any of the shots in high res. Amar, I have more of your sequence if you want it.

Can't wait 'til next year.

Rock on.

Thanks all for a wonderful time on my first slush cup!  Great to put faces with all the TAY "Handles" and witness all the creativity (costumes, pond engineering and kicker building)!  And great photos - there is a talented group of photographers on this site!

That was just too much fun.  My scarf's off to the person who thought up this idea.

I can't wait for next year.  That setting was magical too.  Evel would have been proud!

Here's a quote from the man himself:

"I love the feeling of the fresh air on my face and the wind blowing through my hair." -  Evel Knievel

Thanks for a great day everyone.  Will certainly join again next year - this time I'll make it across the pond.  My arm is healing nicely (couple stitches, nothing bad) - thanks to everyone's gracious help and packing out my pride for me!  :-[  Jess is a great "woofer" - glad she keeps that current!  Here's to more opportunities to get to know you all!
emily

looks like it was another stellar day of slushin' and slidin'!  nice photos, nice outfits, and way to move icebergs. :)  oh, and cass, nice pfd.  i miss this annual august event!  maybe next year...

glad you all had a great time!  jw, any viddys yet?? 8)

OK-The first published viddy.
It is in Quicktime on my Mac thingy, so I hope it works for all yall.
The larger version is of much better quality than this compressed version.
But good enough for this DirtBag.
SLUSHCUP 2008

Way to nail the first viddy, Joe!!
And a soooper production as well.
Nice work!!

Well done Joe!  8)

Verrrrry  noice. High Five :D :D :D

Most excellent, Joedabaker!
enjoyed on a Mac.

WHAT A HOOT of a party...I better make the drive for this one next year........

author=Joedabaker link=topic=10799.msg44216#msg44216 date=1219379236]
But good enough for this DirtBag.

Good enough for this DirtBag too!  Great movie, Joe!

Great video, joedabaker and pictures all!  I hardly feel like I missed it.  :'(
Thanks!

Reply to this TR

slushcup-2008
Joedabaker
2008-08-17 21:21:28