Home > Trip Reports > Coleman Pinnacle 8/17/2008

Coleman Pinnacle 8/17/2008

8/15/08
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by James Wells on 8/17/08 11:18am
The forecast was for a scorcher, so my brother John (visiting from Japan) and I rolled from Bham at 4:30 and started hoofing from AP at 6.  One hour walk to skinnable snow on Ptarmigan Ridge.  We then made our way to the glacier just past Coleman Pinnacle.

Short of Coleman Pinnacle, the runs are all very short now, as in 300 vf or less.

On the way we saw two skiers and a dog making a run down a delivate finger of snow well down into the basin.  It looked cool so we did the same route.  At the top of the next lap we found the trio and it was Paul and Mary.  Great to meet you guys in the small world of the vastness of the Baker wilderness.

From the area around Coleman Pinnacle. there are still decents runs of perhaps 600-700 vf.  Beyond, the Sholes and Mazama would provide far longer runs in exachange for the larger commitment of getting there.

Just as it started baking on our way back, we were blessed by some clouds and a few nice light showers.

While going for a short plunge in Bagely Lake, we saw tracks on the last 200' finger of snow coming down to the lake.  Someone found the easy way to get their August turns.  It also looked like there were tracks from today coming down the notch in Table, which would still be a nice run of perhaps 500'.

Sorry no pix, could not find camera, elected not to incur the massive loss of points waking up my wife at 0430 to ask where it was.

Reply to this TR

coleman-pinnacle-8-17-2008
James Wells
2008-08-17 18:18:50