Home > Trip Reports > August 10, 2008, Table Mtn-Ptarmigan Ridge Area

August 10, 2008, Table Mtn-Ptarmigan Ridge Area

8/10/08
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by cmosetick on 8/11/08 8:06am
Arrived at Artist Point later in the day around 2pm.  It was verry cloudy/foggy but not really raining.  Just a few small drops here and there.  Hiked out to the start of the Ptarmigan Ridge trail to asses snow conditions and on the way there the rain started to come down a little heavier for a few minutes.  Then the rain quit and pretty much stopped for the rest of the trip.  Decent snow finger patches were found just a little past the chain lakes/ptarmigan ridge interchange.  I wanted to continue out further because I could see good snow fingers out just a little further then where we were at, but was not able to because of my non-skiing partners unwillingness to hike out there with me.  They looked really good, like they would still be good for quite some time, but do not quote me because I was not actually able to check them out.  I did examine what I could with my mini binoculars and I wish I could have gone out further to really get at the good stuff.  We saw three mountain goats making there way over Ptarmigan Ridge earlier in the trip too. The snow was pretty firm in most places and turns were pretty difficult, but with overcast skies on an August afternoon, I will not be picky.  Overall it was a great trip, and completely worth bringing the skis in my opinion.  I got in one long run and one shorter run.  The video of the longer run does not show my complete descent into the creek drainage.  It went for quite a bit further than where I was at when my videographer ended up stopping the video.  Also, it was really nice having my own non-skiing videographer there to get some videos of me getting August turns!!

Photo Album from Trip: http://www.the808.net/gallery/Ptarmigan-Ridge-August-2008

Videos From Trip: http://www.the808.net/images/August-2008/Ptarmigan-Ridge-Ski-Trip/ptarmigan-ridge.htm

RUN to the next patch!!!

Mountain Goats in the distance.

Skied the top left patch and the top right patch.
Howdy Mosetick, Thanks for the report.  We were on the other side of the mountain.  Good job you have a videographer at all, who's willing to accompany you on a foggy day into the mountains.  ::)  Not all of us are so lucky.  Nice videos and pictures.  Even foggy, the flowers are spectacular!

I agree that there's probably some pretty good snow out there for quite a while.  See you up there!

Yes, she is pretty amazing!! She mentioned that she heard or saw some skiers while I was in the creek drainage.  I was hoping to run into you later, but obviously that didn't happen.  I believe I ended up skinning through your tracks at one point in time as well.  I saw fresh dog paw prints right next to fresh ski tracks.  It's really to bad that we didn't have Monday's or even today's sunny weather when we were up there.  The snow would have been so much better for turns!!

author=mosetick link=topic=10779.msg44079#msg44079 date=1218562976]
  It's really to bad that we didn't have Monday's or even today's sunny weather when we were up there.  The snow would have been so much better for turns!!

Like it was the previous week http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=10763.0

Reply to this TR

august-10-2008-table-mtn-ptarmigan-ridge-area
cmosetick
2008-08-11 15:06:15