telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
12/14/19, 03:23 AM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2008 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  August 2008 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  August 10th 2008 Table Mtn-Ptarmigan Ridge Area
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: August 10th 2008 Table Mtn-Ptarmigan Ridge Area  (Read 3204 times)
mosetick
Administrator

August 10th 2008 Table Mtn-Ptarmigan Ridge Area
« on: 08/11/08, 04:06 PM »

Arrived at Artist Point later in the day around 2pm.  It was verry cloudy/foggy but not really raining.  Just a few small drops here and there.  Hiked out to the start of the Ptarmigan Ridge trail to asses snow conditions and on the way there the rain started to come down a little heavier for a few minutes.  Then the rain quit and pretty much stopped for the rest of the trip.  Decent snow finger patches were found just a little past the chain lakes/ptarmigan ridge interchange.  I wanted to continue out further because I could see good snow fingers out just a little further then where we were at, but was not able to because of my non-skiing partners unwillingness to hike out there with me.  They looked really good, like they would still be good for quite some time, but do not quote me because I was not actually able to check them out.  I did examine what I could with my mini binoculars and I wish I could have gone out further to really get at the good stuff.  We saw three mountain goats making there way over Ptarmigan Ridge earlier in the trip too. The snow was pretty firm in most places and turns were pretty difficult, but with overcast skies on an August afternoon, I will not be picky.  Overall it was a great trip, and completely worth bringing the skis in my opinion.  I got in one long run and one shorter run.  The video of the longer run does not show my complete descent into the creek drainage.  It went for quite a bit further than where I was at when my videographer ended up stopping the video.  Also, it was really nice having my own non-skiing videographer there to get some videos of me getting August turns!!

Photo Album from Trip: http://www.the808.net/gallery/Ptarmigan-Ridge-August-2008

Videos From Trip: http://www.the808.net/images/August-2008/Ptarmigan-Ridge-Ski-Trip/ptarmigan-ridge.htm

RUN to the next patch!!!

Mountain Goats in the distance.

Skied the top left patch and the top right patch.
« Last Edit: 08/12/08, 10:35 AM by mosetick » Logged
Don Heath

Re: August 10th 2008 Table Mtn-Ptarmigan Ridge Area
« Reply #1 on: 08/11/08, 09:56 PM »

Howdy Mosetick, Thanks for the report.  We were on the other side of the mountain.  Good job you have a videographer at all, who's willing to accompany you on a foggy day into the mountains.  Roll Eyes  Not all of us are so lucky.  Nice videos and pictures.  Even foggy, the flowers are spectacular!

I agree that there's probably some pretty good snow out there for quite a while.  See you up there!

The best part of summer skiing is napping on a warm rock.
mosetick
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: 08/12/08, 10:42 AM »

Yes, she is pretty amazing!! She mentioned that she heard or saw some skiers while I was in the creek drainage.  I was hoping to run into you later, but obviously that didn't happen.  I believe I ended up skinning through your tracks at one point in time as well.  I saw fresh dog paw prints right next to fresh ski tracks.  It's really to bad that we didn't have Monday's or even today's sunny weather when we were up there.  The snow would have been so much better for turns!!
Telemon

« Reply #3 on: 08/12/08, 06:41 PM »

It's really to bad that we didn't have Monday's or even today's sunny weather when we were up there.  The snow would have been so much better for turns!!
Like it was the previous week http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=10763.0

Git down, Brothers and Sisters of the Church of the Telemark..What do you mean it is a turn not a religion?
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.